How do I make description required for all issues except subtasks?

Jess Froholdt Stopa August 28, 2019

I want to make the description required for new issues, but not for sub-tasks.

How do I come about that?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2019

Yes. Required fields, at creation time are controlled by the field configuration scheme. That scheme is composed of one or more field configurations. Every issue type can have its own field configuration inside the field configuration scheme. If you have 5 issue types and 1 has special needs you create a field configuration for the 4 issue types and another for the 1 issue type. Then you combine them into a field configuration scheme and apply that to the project. When an issue is created, it looks for a field configuration for that issue type and uses it. If it doesn't find one it uses the default in the configuration scheme.  Copy/paste this link for more information. https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-a-field-configuration-scheme-844500805.html 

Jess Froholdt Stopa September 5, 2019

It makes complete sense the way you say it, but it just won't work for me. This is what I have now:

Default field configuration scheme configured with:
- Default -> Default Field Configuration
- Sub-task -> Sub-Task Field Configuration

Default Field Configuration configured with:
- Description -> Required

Sub-Task Field Configuration configured with:
- Description -> Optional

The Description is required whenever I create a story, bug or epic. However, when I create a sub-task for a story, a modal pops up and tells me the description is required.

Nothing happens if I reverse it and change Description to required in the Sub-Task Field Configuration.

It seems like the sub-task is not recognized as a sub-task.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2019

When you create the sub-task is the issue name sub-task? I have several subtasks and usually name them with something more descriptive. 

Jess Froholdt Stopa September 5, 2019

I managed to figure it out. It was because the project was still using the System Default Field Configuration...

0 votes
joshua metakelvin September 8, 2022

i accept

0 votes
Deleted user August 28, 2019

Hi @Jess Froholdt Stopa ,

Please, add a validator to that specific workflow and this workflow should not be used for sub-task issue type.

OR

Create a two field configuration and add one field configuration to all issue types except sub-task and make the description as required and add another one to a sub-task issue type. 

Regards,
Kishore Kumar Gangavath.

Suggest an answer