How do I make a field config for just one issue type rather than all of them?

Ryan Jones June 20, 2014

This is my least favorite (which is saying something) admin change to make and I still can't get it to work. I just want to set up a layout for bugs that ONLY applies to bugs in ONLY that one project and have the rest of the issue types in that project share a different field config again unique to ONLY that project. A rational person would design a systems admin settings to go something like Project > Issue Types for the Project > Settings for the selected issue types. In JIRA I have to try and navigate a labyrinthian system which makes no sense and is completely counter intuitive. So I create a field config and associate that field config with a field config scheme and then associate that with a project? No preview for how this will look of course or if it is being applied correctly. I just wait until it breaks everything and then try to retrace my steps back through all the messof identical screens and hope I navigated to the main admin rather than the project admin (not that the difference is apparent). Is there a place online that walks me through this that not the atlassian documentation because I cannot get this to work.

2 answers

0 votes
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2014

Hi Ryan,

In order to achieve this, is basically how you explained BUT you may have missed the Issue Type association to the Field Cofiguration you created.

You will find an "Associate an Issue Type with a Field Configuration" button at the top right corner of the "Configure Field configuration Scheme"page.

Then you'll associate a single Field Configuration Scheme to your project, and this scheme will have the Field Configurations you want associated to the desired Issue Types.

The Field Configuration and Field Configuration Scheme pages can be found at Administration > Issues, or you can simply hit "." (dot) in your keyboard to open the shortcut panel

Hope this helps

Ryan Jones June 23, 2014

I have tried this, but it is not having the effect I want. I still see priority in issue types other than bugs in the project I am trying to edit. I would take a scorched earth approach and start everything from scratch, but that is not an option as the projects are in motion and I can't risk things getting worse. Furthermore, I can't seem to figure out how to detatch a field configuration scheme from a field configuration. Just looking at what I have typed enforces my belief that this set up is convoluted, but it doesn't solve the problem. If I could just remove priority from everything but bugs in this one project I would consider it a victory at this point.

Ryan Jones June 24, 2014

Is this workflow at least correct?

1. Create a Field Configuration for my project.
2. Create a Field Configuration Scheme and associate it with the Field Configuration in step 1.
3. Associate the Field Configuration Scheme in Step 2 to my project.

From here I somehow asociate this to a screen scheme I assume but I want to get the first part right before I start setting lofty goals for myself.

0 votes
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2014

Hi Ryan,

It is actually now possible to configure two custom field contexts with the same project in JIRA - see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-6851.

Try adding two different custom fields with a similar name (not the same name so you can still search both without causing confusion on the Issue Navigator). I know it's ugly, but should get the job done. :P

Let me know if this helps.

Ryan Jones June 23, 2014

I'm not sure I follow. I am just trying to get the priority field to tie to the bug issue type and not story or task or any of those. I don't see how more custom field types is the answer here.

Like Michael Anderson likes this

Suggest an answer