• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I link an attachment in a comment with the new jira view? Edited

On an existing issue, how can you link an attachment to a comment (on the same issue)? Can you please explain?

6 answers

This is a known problem of the new issue view. You can still use the old behavior on the old issue view, though.

Please consider voting for the related Atlassian bug and feature request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72208

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70200

Hopefully, they will fix this before getting rid of the old view...

Cheers,
Dan
STAGIL 

Please add this ability to the new JIRA issue view.  Our team attaches many documents into one JIRA issue so we should be able to refer to the specific document in a comment. 

Hello, @Istvan Hegedus ,

From here

333.png

Hi @elenushhh 

Thanks for your response.

In this menu I found just some recently uploaded files. But I meant a file which was attached to the issue earlier. I thing there is some argument which can be used here but I could not find it. Or maybe I am wrong?

Istvan

Like Dave Cavell likes this

@Istvan Hegedus Oh, I understand, there should be the attachments section,  which in your case is not displayed? 

If not, please click on "Create issue" and verify if the attachment is checked, form "Configure fields", maybe with the new issue view is not checked. If it's not displayed there, or cheked, you need to add it from screen config. 

Let me know if this was helpful or if I can help you with something else.

Hi @elenushhh 

I can see the attachment field and there are attachments I added some weeks earlier. In a comment I just wanted to refer to one of them by a link to it (to avoid searching it by the reader but just click to the link and open the attachment). I clicked to 'Files & images' you referred above but I could attach a new file or choose a recent file only but no chance to link any of the previously attached files.

I tried to copy URL of the actual attachment but couldn't do it (no such menu appears).

Now I have no more ideas. Is there any chance to put a direct link into the comment?

Istvan

@Istvan Hegedus I don't know how to help you with that, in my case we don't have so many attachments in a task, so it's easier to find them from the attachments section if we need something. But I will do a reasearch about it and maybe I can help you with this. :) 

Is there a solution to this? I'm on the same boat as Istvan too.

No, I haven't found any solution. I doubt it's possible in Jira.

It was possible in JIRA server and such a simple yet powerful feature is not available in Cloud version, too bad

Doesn't make sense to re-upload already uploaded attachments to add them in comments.

Like # people like this
Mariam I'm New Here Oct 13, 2020

@Istvan Hegedus You can do so using [^attachment.txt] in the comments section.

You can use [^attachment.txt] in the comments, but not in the description, where the WYSIWYG editor is the only option. I'd love to be able to switch to the old markup editor in cases like this.

This issue drives me crazy. I frequently add a bunch of example input files and then go to edit the description and discover I have to delete all the files that I just attached and add them again when I'm ready to link to them in the text. This is pretty consistently the reason I switch to back to the old Jira interface in my account preferences.

Like # people like this

Indeed this was possible before. Why is this broken ???

Like # people like this

Same here, it was a very useful feature, please put it back.

Trying to achieve the same here. Seems like it's not possible in the current version. Hope this gets re-implemented. It looks like a basic feature to me.

Referencing attachments in comments and descriptions is strongly desired.  This is another example of an important feature lost or obscured with the "new" Jira view.  

Like # people like this

While creating a comment, click on the "Files & images" icon to attach a file or image directly to the comment. You can even select files and images that are already attached to the Jira issue.

Yes, I've tried the Files & images button before. When you click on Files & images it presents a rectangle area for uploading new files and a large collection of files already uploaded for any Jira story. Maybe the file that I want to reference is somewhere in the large collection of files.  If you are willing to fish through the files to find the one you want the result is a thumbnail image in the comment.  What I really wanted was descriptive text and the URL link to the attachment. (Like Ctrl-K if you could somehow discover the URL link to the attachment.)

For me it would be easier to use if you could see just the collection of files for the specific Jira story and its associated sub-tasks as options. (Maybe also showing the other uploads as options but in a separate secondary grouping.) And there should be a method to make a reference as a descriptive text link instead of a thumbnail image.

Like Dave Marley likes this

I suggest you duplicate the file by re-uploading.

From what I can tell, [^attachment.txt] does not work in comments either. This used to work (in Jira Server at least) in Description and Comments, and was such an easy, succinct way to add a link to an attachment. Please bring this simple capability back. 

I agree as well that the new look is worse and it seems like we get less functionality/capability with new versions, not more. I wish I could revert back to an earlier version.

+1

In the service desk, I often need to reference an already-uploaded image in a comment to a customer.  It seems silly to need to download it from the same request, then upload it again to do this, it used to be easy because the attach tool on the editing panel brought up the list of already attached items.

Regards,

Jim

I really do not like the new view.  The Edit screen is gone and I cannot add existing attachments to the comment.  This is why I put off switching, now we are stuck with the new look.

[^attachment.txt] isnt working and files & images insert the same image second time. Wedont want insert a simple reference to already inserted image. We are new in JIRA Cloud and disappointed already, such simple and powerful feature doesnt exist. Programming this would take only half an hour, but it would save millions of hours...

This issue dates back to June of 2019 and is now at the point where it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time I use JIRA.  Our team is seriously considering switching to a competitor.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you