How do I hide a transition from a view screen

Evan Golden September 25, 2015

I have many conditions in my transitions.  This means that they must be marked ALL vs. Any.  It also means that multiple transition buttons display on my view screen.  How do I hide or remove one of those buttons?  My conditions are set as needed, but it is resulting in multiple transitions to choose from.  Please Help.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2015

First, why does having many conditions mean they all need to be "All" (and) versus "Any" (or)?  You need to set them up to model the appropriate logic; for example, I use a grouped "Any" condition to limit transition to certain issue types.

Beyond that, I think an example is in order.  If a given status should only have one outgoing transition from a set of multiple transitions, then they need to have conditions that don't overlap.  Extending my example, I have 3 different "close" transitions, one for bugs, one for improvements and one for tasks, and each one has a "field value" condition on "Issue Type" such that only one is shown for a given type.  If I don't have that condition, I see all three, which obviously doesn't get the job done.  What criteria should be used to determine which one is appropriate at any given time for yours?

Evan Golden September 27, 2015

Thanks Jeremy Basically I have four yes or no questions. If they are all marked no then it goes one way. If one is marked yes it needs to go the other way. So all will work for if they are all marked no. Any wont work for the other way because one condition is also to restrict doing the transition to a particular person. If one question is marked yes assuming it is any and I remove the condition for the person executing the transition then anyone can execute it which won't work.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2015

Right; your issue appears to be that you think it can only be one or the other, when it needs to be a mix of both. I described that in a comment to Nic's answer, you have to create an "any" grouped condition for the fields, and use "all" for the pair of that group plus the condition for the person. Nic also provided a link to documentation that I presume explains that in a more formal way than I did; I haven't read the doc, I just worked it out on my own.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2015

This is the same question as you asked yesterday and it's nonsense.  You have many transitions because you have many transitions, not conditions.

See https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/30939218. which has answers that explain your misunderstanding already (and Jeremy's answer for what you should set up)

Evan Golden September 26, 2015

So it isn't ridiculous. My workflow Jd a questionnaire of yes or no questions. They all need to be no to go one way but if one of them is yes it would go the other way. How do I set that up?

To further explain. I am routing an approval process. One option is review. If all the questions are yes the person should review. If one question is yes review is the option. It is only approve if all are no. And I need only that person to be able to review it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2015

Place conditions on the transitions you want to hide, so that they are hidden when you don't want to see them. Use the and/or functions that Jeremy pointed at. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/advanced-workflow-configuration-317196666.html#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-conditions

The problem I am running into is I have conditions for everything. If I mark them as any than anyone can run the transition. But that shows the right buttons. If I mark them as all then I see both buttons. I am either making a silly mistake or I found something impossible to do.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2015

I don't understand the problem. If you have a transition you want to hide on a step, then use a condition to hide it.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2015

Still need more details; is your workflow an approval process, or is the project/issue an approval process? As in, are the Yes/No answers state transition buttons, or a list of custom fields? And if they are buttons, are you using custom fields to store the answers, or is each status a distinct node in a decision tree? Beyond that, what do you mean by "that person"? The assignee, or the reporter? Or the person who actually answered the questions? Assuming the reporter, and custom fields to store the answers, your condition for review would be, in logic "if currentUser==reporter and (answer1==yes or answer2==yes or answer3==yes or answer4==yes)". In a workflow condition, you'd first add an "Only Reporter Condition", then add one "value field" condition for "answer1", then click on the new "answer1" condition's "branch" button to create a grouped condition, add the rest of the "answer" conditions to that group, and change just that group to "Any" from the default of "All". The "Any" top level group is your "and" and the "All" sub-group is your "or". For the other button, it's a straightforward and since you are checking for all answers equal to "No".

Suggest an answer