How do I get the "Average Time In Status" chart to work?

Troy Johnson January 13, 2012

I'm running Jira 4.4 and have added the Average Time In Status Gadget to my dashboard. When I specify a project or a filter and modfiy the remainder of the fields and then select the Save button, nothing happens, it just stays on the configurations screen. If I switch to the Issues tab and then back to my dashboard there is a message on the Average Time In Status gadget that says "There were no matching issues found. Please make sure that you have selected a valid project or filter and that you have correctly configured the required custom fields." If I click on the link it looks like this might be supported although it does indicate that it might not work with 4.4. How can I tell what the real situation is and if this is not just operator error? Also, the charting plug-in is installed.

4 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Troy Johnson February 1, 2012

In order to make the Average Time in Status gadget to work, you have to put the "Time in Status" field on the screen of the issue type you want to track.

Elliot Gates April 8, 2019

I have done this - it still does not work.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2021

Have you also re-indexed?

Agustina Diaz De Tuesta February 10, 2021

Hi! how do I put the field on the screen of the issue?? 

Harish Pandurala March 7, 2022

Hi,

how to put "Time in Status" with the Average Age Report

1 vote
Thierry Molina June 16, 2014

Hello,

sorry to answer to this old question, but I don't understand:

"In order to make the Average Time in Status gadget to work, you have to put the "Time in Status" field on the screen of the issue type you want to track."

Where can I find "th screen of the issue type"? Is it the Workflow? Where can we configure custom fields for Workflow steps? Thank you very much

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2014
Thierry Molina June 17, 2014

Ok thanx.

I found "Time in Status" custom field.

Open "Administration" menu => "Issues"

To the left click on "Custom field", then on the right click the button "Add custom field".

Select "Time in Status" and click "Next"....

Like David Puy likes this
Christopher Su July 18, 2014

"Time in Status" isn't an option for me in the list of custom fields.

Troy Johnson July 18, 2014

Christopher, you need to install the JIRA Charting Plugin which will install the "Time in Status" custom field. After that it should be available to you.

Theo Brillhart January 5, 2021

Just replicated the steps outlined by @Thierry Molina and it changed nothing in the gadget chart.

My chart has this line of text linked to the project board:

This chart shows the average time spent in a status for all resolved issues over the past 120 days.

Notice the word resolved. It would seem that the gadget is only going to include resolved issues, and nothing in progress.

Can anyone confirm? Suggestions?

Inga Nakhmanson January 8, 2021

Hi! I have the same issue - the chart is just a flat line no matter what status I choose. 

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2012

>There were no matching issues found.

That's the bit to concentrate on - you need to look at the parameters that you have given it and work out why it's finding no issues to report on.

I usually try to replicate the parameters as a filter and check that the matching filter actually returns something.

Troy Johnson January 19, 2012

I'm not sure that this is really the problem, although I will check. Can I ask if anyone is successfully using the Average Time In Status gaget with version 4.4?

Troy Johnson February 1, 2012

I figured out that in order for the Average Time in Status gadget to work, you have to have the custom "Time in Status" field on the screen of the issue type you are trying to track. It is now working.

Like # people like this
Deleted user July 30, 2014

I was having the "no matching issues found" too, and just didn't see that I had to configure the chart every time to include status values. It is not including any by default.

Now I see charts, but am not sure the output makes sense based on the filter dataset. Can I output the "[CHART] Time in Status" field to the screen or into Excel from Issue Navigator to see what's being captured? The "[CHART] Date of First Response" field is there when I export all fields, but not time in status.

Arnold Roa February 22, 2018

what screen should i add? create or edit? or both?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2018

None.  The gadget does not need the field on-screen at all.  It just needs the field to be global.

0 votes
Thierry Molina July 20, 2014

I don't know for the version 4.4, but with my version 6.0.1 that works fine

Suggest an answer