How do I get notified by email every time a new task is added to a JIRA project?

I searched for this but could not find an answer. I want to be notified (via email) every time a new task is added to our JIRA project. I don't want to follow every single task, but want to be aware of when there is something new that has been added.  What is the best way for me to do this?

(@Peter Van de Voorde suggested this could be done through a search subscription but I'm not sure how to set this up and could use some pointers. Peter is on vacation so I turn to the community.)

Thanks for any help!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote

Two options:

1.  Get the admins to change the project setup such that there's a role that gets notified on "create" events.  Then put you in that role!

2.  A subscription is available if you search for issues, save the filter and then click on "details" near the top.  A subscription will email you a list of matching issues regularly.  So you could do something like "Created > -20m" ("Issues created after 20 minutes ago" is the English description) and subscribe to it on a 15 minute loop.  There's a nice option for "don't mail me unless you find at least one issue" in there, so you won't get 4 empty emails an hour.

Okay, I found the Subscription area under Details and set up a daily subscription without the empty emails :)  

I'll report back on the results. Thanks @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]!

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] this is working great for me, thank you! I have it set to send it daily and that is fine for my needs.

0 vote

The subscription method to accomplish this would be the most configurable, but it would not provide real-time results.  The subscriptions in JIRA are just running a saved filter search to find issues in JIRA, and then emailing the results to a user/group at a set interval.

First you need to create a JQL filter and save it in JIRA.   I imagine your filter will likely want to look something like this:

project=xyz and issuetype=Task and created >= -1d order by created desc

This would find all the issues of that type in that project created within the last 1 day.   Once you have that, you can then create a subscription to that specific saved filter.  Steps on how to do this are in Receiving Search Results via Email - Atlassian Documentation

I would suggest setting the interval for this subscription to be equal to the time period in your JQL filter (ie in this case 1 day).  That way you should get an email everyday from JIRA with just the issues that meet the criteria of that JQL search at that time.

Thanks @Andrew Heinzer, another great answer. I will try this on the other JIRA project I need to subscribe to and see how it goes!

Worked like a charm over here...so much so the whole department wants in! Thanks @Andrew Heinzer for answer and @Monique van den Berg for asking.

Yep, I'm still using this and it's great! Thanks for letting us know it worked for you. 

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

47 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you