How do I get cycle times (time in a status?) from Jira

mhchung March 28, 2018

Hello all!

I'm looking to get the time it takes a ticket to go through all of it's status's... for example

Open -(how long)> Ready for QA  -(how long)> Accepted  -(how long)> Deployed.  As we are putting in a lot of new processes and tool and want to see if certain timings benefit from them.

From what we've seen in the Jira API it's not giving us the data for all of the different Status (custom workflows etc).

After some searching here it looks like the scriptrunner plugin and the scripted is the one we need to help us out for this but I have a few questions.

1) After adding the scripted field will we be able to get data from tickets in the past too or just ones that are created after we implement the field.

2) One you have the dates for all of the status transitions, will you be able to pull these out from the Jira API?

Thanks for the help!

8 answers

3 votes
Reiner Sunkel July 10, 2019

Lead and Cycle-Time can be analysed when using a Kanban Board e.g. with a certain project  (or filter, ...)shown.
Go to the Report section and choose "Control Chart". You can change the columns which are used for the reporting as well as a start and enddate for your analysis.
If those columns represent certain Status you are able to have a look at the lead and cycle time.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Mark Kern [SaaSJet] June 18, 2019

@Rashan Paani Thank you for mentioning our product.
Time in status for Jira Cloud by SaaSjet help you to get the Cycle and Lead Time by grouping time in statuses

In addition, this plugin generates 7 types of reports at the moment: Time in status, Average time in status, Assignee time, Status Entrance Date, Time in Status per Date, Status Count and Transition Count. To analyze the report up close with all the intrinsic data, you can export it as XLS or CSV files. Also, you can view all reports as charts (Pie, Bar and Area Charts) and export them too.

Also, you can try Time Between Statuses to calculate the status to status time.  This app allows you to set the start/stop/pause timer preferences and highlight overdue issues by setting time limits.

Best regards,
Mark
SaaSJet

Ajay Verma March 20, 2020

@Mark Kern 

HI 

can anyone help me , how to find out the time difference between two Jira Status in Qlikview\Qliksense . How i can develop the data model to achieve this requirement ?

Thanks

Ajay

2 votes
George Mihailoff June 9, 2019

For Jira Cloud, you can use the Quantify addon. It will show both cycle time, lead time and actual time spent.

Mouli March 5, 2020

dead link.. It doesn't load up in Jira market place as well

George Mihailoff September 1, 2020

The link (and app) works fine, maybe it was a Marketplace glitch.

0 votes
Shishir Devagiri August 23, 2019

Hi @mhchung let me know how were you able to solve this issue, I'm looking for the exact answer

Ajay Verma March 18, 2020

HI All

can anyone help me , how to find out the time difference between two Jira Status in Qlikview\Qliksense . How i can develop the data model to achieve this requirement ?

Thanks

Ajay

0 votes
Rashan Paani June 14, 2019

Hello @mhchung 

As I know you can get a time an issue to go through statuses with apps from marketplace. Like: Timesheet Reports and Gadgets by Prime Timesheet or Time in status for Jira Cloud by SaaSjet

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 17, 2019

Don't forget Time in Status by OBSS.

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 11, 2019

Hello @mhchung ,

Jira does not provide a built in solution for this but our OBSS team developed Time in Status app for this exact need. 

Time in Status by OBSS, allows you to report on how much time each issue spent on each status, each assignee or each group. It also has report showing status use counts and transition counts.

You can use any JQL filter to get a report, get your durations in days, hours, minutes or seconds, use 24/7 calendar or define your own business calendars and export your report data as XLS, XLSX and CSV. File exports also allow you to get average durations grouped by fields you select.

Time in Status by OBSS is available for both Jira Server and Jira Cloud. There is a free live demo you can see at plugindemo.obss.com.tr . For any questions, you can reach our team by sending an email to plugin@obss.com.tr

Best regards,

EmreT

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2018

Our Great Gadgets add-on offers a Cycle Time Trend Gadget that might be helpful for you. It uses a Jira filter as input. The gadget can also display a data table, which contains the cycle of every issue. 

0 votes
Kurt Klinner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2018

@mhchung

Hi,

you might find the links at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/tracking-the-time-taken-for-each-workflow-transition-126910724.html useful

Regarding your questions

1) https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/5.0.4/jira/scripted-fields.html

The value for a field is calculated at the time an issue is displayed or updated (in exactly the same way as a custom field plugin)

2) Should work as well

BR

Kurt

mhchung March 29, 2018

Hey Kurt, 

Our main goal is to look at the times in our epics. Is there a way to capture all of this data in a field or set of fields for all of the epics and then pull it out of Jira in a list of some sort?

Reiner Sunkel July 10, 2019
Mouli March 9, 2020

Epic Sum seems to provide timesheet reports. Does it provide cycle times as well?

Reiner Sunkel March 10, 2020

No, it doesn't. We us Kanban boards (Jira Software Server) for this. Please see my previous answer for further information.

Suggest an answer