How do I get a Consumer Key and a Public Key on Atlassian hosted JIRA instance?

morenafiore November 11, 2012

Hi there

I am trying to build a feature on our site where an (non-JIRA) user can submit a bug (but also view the list of submitted bugs) through a form which then sends a call to the JIRA API using the main JIRA admin account as sender.

I need to do this using PHP. I tried Fay Pickering's library but got a 400 code, so I tried with the REST call

curl -D- -u fred:fred -X POST --data {"fields":{"project":{"key":"OEWR"},"summary":"testing","description":"decription","issuetype":{"name":"Bug"},"reporter":"morena"}} -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://myaccount.atlassian.net/rest/api/latest/issue/

And I got this response HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
Do I need to use Oauth? IF so how I configure it?
I managed to find the Application Link Page but when I setup Incoming Authentication it asks me for a Customer Key and a Public Key - where do I get these from? I can find no pages that refer to Jira 5.1.x in your documentation.Also if the instance is hosted on Atlassian how can I possibly have a Public Key?
Hope you can help me
Morena

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Felipe Cuozzo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2012

The REST should work, are you sure you can login into JIRA using "fred:fred" ?

You shouldn't need OAuth for this. The public key would be the public key of your PHP OAuth side (it will hold on the privete key and JIRA will need the public key to be able to decode the encripted data).

morenafiore November 12, 2012

Thank you for the advice. Somehow my password change requesthad not worked. I reset my password and could use the user/password combination without any problems, thank you so much

Suggest an answer