How do I get Project Manager field to auto-fill for all epics and tasks within a project?

Karen Bishop November 19, 2019

When I create a new project and assign the Project Manager, I want the Project Manager field to be filled in automatically for all new issues created.

3 answers

0 votes
Pete Dunham November 19, 2019

@Karen Bishop

The semantics are slightly different but there is out-of-the-box functionality:

From within your project you select a "Project Lead" and then click default Assignee "Project Lead" 

See screenshot: 

Screenshot 2019-11-19 16.52.12.png

0 votes
Jaron Stevenson November 19, 2019

Hi Karen,

Assuming Project Manager is a custom field and assuming you are have Jira administration permissions, you can set up a context for it that is specific to the new project, and then set it's Default Value to the user you want to be the project manager within that project.

See this article on configuring custom fields: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-a-custom-field-938847235.html

0 votes
PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2019

There is a lot of questions first:

1. Is there 1 PjM only?

2. If not - based on what parameter/variable they are assigned to tasks?

3. Are these rules strict or there is a lot of exceptions?

Anyway - with OoTB setup it is tricky (only Components with functionality to assign issues based on Component Lead). I would suggest looking into Automation for Jira add-on.

Suggest an answer