How do I get Jira Administrator access for the projects I created ?

RAJESH KUMARASAMY June 1, 2022

How do I get Jira Administrator access for the projects I created ?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You need to be clear on what administration level you actually need.  There are three and your question is not clear on which you are talking about.

• System Administrators can admin everything
  • Jira Administrators can admin the application (some system options are not available to them)
  • Project administrators administer the projects they have been added to as an admin

You've said "Jira administrator", but then talked about projects, so I'm not sure which one you mean? 

RAJESH KUMARASAMY June 4, 2022

Thanks Nic for your response

I'm the Project Administrator, Project was created with welcome user story assigned to me, I dont have access to delete the story. When I tried to change the settings via Permission page, I do not have access to update it. Hence I was asking how to get Jira Admin role.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2022

Ok, you'll need to ask an existing administrator to add you as an admin, or, better, change the permission scheme in your project so that the project administrators have the delete issue permission.

0 votes
Alex Ortiz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2022

I'm with Nic on this one.

Based on what you wrote, it looks like you created the project yourself.  That leads me to believe you created a team-managed project . . in which case, you should already be an admin.  You can confirm this by going to Project settings -> Access and your name with the role administrator should show.  

If you didn't create a team-managed project, and you can confirm your project is a company-managed project (lower left corner), then you most likely already a site-administrator.  When you create a company-managed project, by default users aren't added to the project unless you configure a global permission/configuration.  In this case, you just want to go the gear at the top right corner -> Projects. Find your project and click on the ellipsis on the far right -> Project settings.  If you can't see these project settings, then you are most likely not a site-admin and you'll need to provide us with some more information to help you further.  

Suggest an answer