How do I get Features in Jira

Stephen Burke May 9, 2018

I am using Jira however it only has Epics and Stories,.....what happened to Features?

I see in other posts how people are referring to their Epic->Feature->Story framework however in my Jira version Features do not exist.

Actually i do not understand that in an Agile/Scrum tool this is not standard. How do I get Features activated please?

3 answers

4 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2018

Hi Stephen,

it depends on the kind of project you created, which issue types are included by default.

If you want to have also an Feature issue-type, you will have to add it as Issue- Type and then add it to your Issue Type Scheme.

To do this, you must have jira administration permission. Go to System-Setting (the cog-item in the upper right, next to your profile) and choose issues. 

Then you should already see the issue types configured in your system and you can add the Feature there.

Afterwards, just select Issue Type Scheme and select the scheme you are using. Then you can just add the Feature Issue Type to your scheme.

Stephen Burke May 9, 2018

Thanks Bastian.

In Jira I see an issue type  "New Feature" however this is at the same "level" as a Story. I would think that an Epic contains Features which in turn contain Stories. This does not look to be the case.

Like # people like this
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2018

That's right. In Jira you can have this hierachy:

Epic - Story - Subtask

That's all that comes with Jira by default, if you want to add more hierarchy-levels, you will need an addon that brings that availability.

Just been looking in the marketplace, maybe this may help you:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/34717/structure-for-jira-projects-at-scale?hosting=server&tab=overview

Like # people like this
Stephen Burke May 24, 2018

thank you Bastian - I'll take a look with the customer.

3 votes
Nicki D March 30, 2023

Hi @Bastian Stehmann What did you end up doing with this? I need features also so we can track milestones and have stories roll up to to them and then those features roll up to Epics.  Thank you.

jn92574
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 8, 2024

@Nicki D  - did you ever get a response?

0 votes
jn92574
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 8, 2024

@Bastian Stehmann I'd like to know what you ended up doing as well? The 'feature' functionality is especially useful in transformation for teams to understand how to chunk work. The roll-up and visualization of it (EPIC-FEATURE-STORY) would be a HUGE win!

Suggest an answer