How do I format my CSV so the I can use the importer to map to a "Select List" Custom Field?

Tom B January 21, 2021

I have a "select list" custom field set up for my issues. I would like to know how to format the column of my CSV so that the importer will select the appropriate item from the list.

Example: My "select list" custom field is configured to be a drop down menu; lets say the pull down menu options are: a - e

a

b

c

d

e

My CSV reads:

Summary, CustomFieldValue

ToBeDeleted, a

ToBeDeleted, e

ToBeDeleted, b

When I map the "CustomFieldValue" column from my CSV to the "Select List" Custom field in the importer setup; the importer is not carrying that information into the created issue. Any insights?

1 answer

0 votes
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

Hi @Tom B 

Welcome to community.

Did you look at the importer logs? It may give a relevant information to find out the issue.

In Jira mapping page, where you chose the corresponding Jira field, there is a checkbox called map field value. If you choose it for select list field, the next page in the wizard allows you to control option mapping. Please check it.

Also, take a look at this page.

Tom B January 21, 2021

@Tansu Akdeniz 

Thank you for responding!

So I went over my generated "log" file for this specific import attempt. There are no indicators here. I am curious what the proper syntax is for the CSV file.

If my CSV file data field reads "a"... does the importer select that from the predetermined "a -e" custom field list? Or is there some specific syntax or formatting needed from the CSV?

I read the document you provided while setting up my CSV and it does not seem to specify. It does say that if importing to a cascaded "Select from list" custom field to use the "->" syntax. It does not specify about a non-cascaded field.

Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

Actually, the syntax seems fine. In order to double check the customfield mapping, it could be better to tick the map field value checkbox in csv wizard. Did you have a chance to do it?

Btw, I assume that custom field is added to issue view screen. Otherwise, it is not shown in the issue although it has a value.

Suggest an answer