How do I find issues that block marking a Fix/Version as Released?

Lore Eargle December 30, 2020

When I click Release, I receive a message that "14 unresolved issues" remain. All the listed stories are Closed. How do I find the 14 issues?

Thanks much.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2020

The term "issue" in Jira refers to any type of work element - not just Stories, but also Subtasks (and Epics too).

There are a few different possibilities here. Can you answer a few questions to help?

1. Are you using Jira Cloud, Jira Server, or Jira Data Center?
  2. Is this a Classic Project or a Next-Gen Project?
  3. Do you have admin privs on this Jira instance?
  4. Can you confirm that when you click on "14 unresolved issues" you ONLY see issues that are Stories?

Your answers to these questions will help us get further.

Thank you for offering to help, Mykenna.

1. As an end user of Jira without admin access rights, how do I determine which of the 3 the company is using?
  2. How do I know if this is classic or next-gen?
  3. No
  4. "14 unresolved issues" is not a link

I am trying to close the Release, not the sprint. The Release, as we use it, crosses multiple sprints and different teams.

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2020
  1. Atlassian, unfortunately, makes it way too hard to determine this simple (and important) aspect of your instance. I was hoping you'd "just know". Let's ignore this for now.
  2. Since your release spans multiple projects, this might be irrelevant. But to tell, look at the board for a project, and find the project name in the top-left corner. Underneath it will say either "Next-gen" or "Classic".
  3. Ok (you're not an admin) - that helps.
  4. In Jira Cloud for Classic projects, that normally does show as a hyperlink. So this might be a minor clue as to which project type and/or instance type you have.

Jack's response suggests something good to check next. It's a bit tricky, so I'll walk you through it.

Go to the project that has defined the Release, and click on "Releases" in the left navbar.

On the list of Releases, find the left column marked "Version" (a synonym in Jira for "Release" [sigh] ) and click on the hyperlink for the Release of interest.

On the page that comes up, click on "View in Issue Navigator" on the left, above the list of issues.

At the top will be a long field. The contents of that field will be something like:

project = 12345 AND fixVersion = 23456 ORDER BY priority DESC, key ASC

Edit it to be this instead (leave the fixVersion value as it was):

fixVersion = 23456 order by resolution desc

This should list all the issues (Stories and every other issue) related to the release.

Now click on "Columns" near the top-right of the results list. Use that "Columns" dialog to enable these columns:

• Key
  • Issue Type
  • Summary
  • Status
  • Resolution

The results should update themselves when you click "Done" for the new column choices.

Of most interest will be any issues that show "Unresolved" in the "Resolution" column.

Let us know what you find.

Mykenna,

Your instructions are exactly what I needed. I've been struggling with this periodically (when I have time to address it) on and off for months.

Thank you so much and Happy Holidays!

Lore

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2020

are all issues in right most column? if you look at the sprint report it will show those not completed. any issues deemed incomplete will go to next sprint or backlog.

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2020

I think the OP is about marking a Release as completed -- not closing a Sprint.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2020

yes sorry. this would be a Kanban board then. 

@Lore Eargle, can you verify that all of the issues have the Resolution field set when moved to Closed? Could you post an image of the board where you are releasing or did you already perform the release. If so then go to the Releases page and find the recent release and select it then click on View in issue navigator and check to see if the Resolution is set for all.

Jack,

Since I posted my question, I created a search that found 4 issues tagged with the 3.4 Fix/Version that had "Unresolved" in the Resolved field:

cf[11500] = "team name" AND fixVersion = "n.n" AND resolution is EMPTY

The Resolved field is not one that I can edit. As a workaround, I did the following for each issue:

1. Clicked Review, which changed the status to "Review." 
  2. Clicked Workflow and selected Resolved. 
  3. Clicked Workflow and selected Done.

Doing this reduced the "remaining issues" from 14 to 10. Note, however, that the number of "Issues in version" did not change from 33 to 37 so the issues that were blocking the Release process, did not and do not now appear as part of 3.4.

Now I need to figure out how to find the remaining 10 issues with a Fix/Version that is 3.4.

I welcome any suggestions you have.

33 issues closed and 10 remain.png

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2020

Take the "team name" portion of your query out. That should show you the others.

Like # people like this

Yes! Thank you, Mykenna!

Suggest an answer