How do I find all labels in Jira?

An Le Nguyen August 23, 2021

I would like to see a list of all labels that are currently in use in Jira. How might I do that?

6 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2021

Hi @An Le Nguyen you can use REST API endpoint:
https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-labels/#api-rest-api-3-label-get

Your request can look like

You need to use pagination if you have more than 1000 labels, so just let me know if it is your case and we can work on it

Michael Hart November 19, 2021

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ 

Thanks for the link to the REST API endpoint! It solved my problem. I do have a couple of areas where that article could be improved, though. (I also left this as feedback on that page.)

For cURL, please add some notes for Windows users:

1. cURL in Windows must use double quotes (") not single quotes (')! Single quotes will not work with in Windows!!
  2. Remove the \ before copy and pasting. No newlines allowed.
  3. Be aware that <API_TOKEN> should be removed ENTIRELY, including the less than and greater than signs (< >).

It took a bit if of futzing around for me to figure this out. The article got me 95% of the way there, but the last bits were slowing me down.

Oh, also:

1. To generate an API token
    1. https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security
    2. Click on "Create and manage API tokens"
    3. Click "Create API Token"
    4. Name it
    5. Copy the API token somewhere safe
Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2021

Good job @Michael Hart ;)

Like Michael Hart likes this
John Worrall June 9, 2022

I'm glad you figured something out, but honestly, we should not need to learn how to use REST API endpoints to get a list of what labels are in Jira.

Like # people like this
Andrea Hardy April 17, 2023

Another solution that is a bit easier.. add a new gadget to a dashboard.

Select Add Gadget - Load All Gadgets - (scroll) Select Heat Map - Find the relevant filter for your project that includes ALL items (if not available create just a basic issue search that selects your project) Statistic Type should be: Label - select okay - Done :-)

This will show all labels currently in use by the selected project. 

Like # people like this
4 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2021

Here is one thing you could do - use this JQL labels is not empty  to find all issues that have a label. Export this list, I recommend removing as many columns as possible if you have a large database. Then use excel formulas such as pivot table to find up every unique label. Not glamorous but it will work.

0 votes
Atly Apps June 3, 2023

Hi An,

In addition to the other answers, we recently released a third-party app - Label Organizer for Jira Cloud - which provides the ability to view and organize (merge, rename, bulk-delete and bulk-assign) labels in Jira tenant:

Jira instance labels.png

You can view and organize labels either in a whole Jira instance or a single Jira project.

It's totally free for organisations with less than 10 users, and we've tried to price it very economically for organisations with more users. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.

0 votes
Incident April 20, 2023

We're finding that this API is too slow (taking over 90 seconds, and not returning) for some of our customers - even ones with ~500 labels.

Is there any other way to get the labels from the API? 

0 votes
Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 12, 2022

Hi everyone,

If you want to have a nice interface to view all labels as well as manage (view all labels in a project or all projects in one place, rename or merge and delete if needed), please try our app:

Label Manager for Jira Cloud

You can also search Atlassian Marketplace for relevant apps here if you need something else.

0 votes
Magdalena Zhisheva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2022

Hi @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ , 

Can you share how to use pagination if you have more than 1000 labels?

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this!

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2022

Hi @Magdalena Zhisheva you need to use query parameters

• startAt
  • maxResults

For example if your page has two elements you need to invoke

• {URL}/rest/api/3/label?startAt=0&maxResults=2 -  get first and second label
  • {URL}/rest/api/3/label?startAt=2&maxResults=2 -  get third and second fourth
Like # people like this
Magdalena Zhisheva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2022

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ , 

Thank you very much!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders