How do I filter inside a theme?

Ali Nasrallah October 28, 2021

I have multiple themes with initiatives under them. How am I able to filter through themes to create a dashboard? My goal is that I can show one of my themes on my dashboard and have all information such as issuetypes under it. 

For example: Let's say one of my Themes is called "Products" and it has multiple epics under it. I want to create a dashboard gadget for "Products" which shows the status of all epics that are nested under this theme. What would the filter be in order to create this filter?

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2021

Hi @Ali Nasrallah,

The combination of your question with how you labeled your product plan is a bit confusing. When you talk about themes and initiatives, quite automatically I start thinking about advanced roadmaps, but those aren't available on the free plan.

So let's just assume themes are an attribute of your Epics issues. If that is the case, it is very easy to create a filter like this and save it as e.g. Epics by Theme - Products:

Theme = Products AND Issuetype = Epic

Then, add a Filter Results gadget to a Jira and use the previously saved filter as issue source for the gadget.

Do exactly the same for your other themes and you should end up with a nice overview of Epics for each theme.

Could be I am oversimplifying things, but I hope it helps!

Ali Nasrallah October 28, 2021

Hi @Walter Buggenhout , actually, I'm using a company plan that's not associated with this account. But I have the issuetype for Themes and I'd like to create a filter that shows all items within that issue.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2021

Hi @Ali Nasrallah,

I was afraid you'd say something like that. And I hope you have at least linked your Epics to a theme with an issue link.

Searching for linked issues is an area where Jira (out of the box) has some serious room for improvement. But if we stick to the original use case, you could still retrieve your Epics linked to a Theme with the below JQL (let's assume your Product theme issue has issuekey THEME-13):

Issue in LinkedIssues(THEME-13)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events