How do I filter for Tickets that are Parents?

Kathrin November 28, 2022

I know how to a filter for a specific Parent or Parent Link but I need a filter that gives me a list of tickets that are "parents". 

3 answers

1 vote
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2022

Hi @Kathrin

As you're on Jira Cloud, the correct answer is to get an app that provides JQL extensions you're looking for.

With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. If your use case is more dynamic than that, look beyond standard Jira.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can quickly find the results using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions

You can use our function ParentsOfIssuesInQuery for a given JQL subquery it finds parents of resulting issues. For example, you can use the query below to find all my tickets’ parents.

issue in parentsOfIssuesInQuery("assignee=currentUser()")

Check out the documentation for more examples.

If you have any other questions, please contact our support. We’ll be happy to help you!
Best regards,
Maurício

1 vote
Janco Hoekstra November 28, 2022

You can only achieve this using some third-party Add-on like JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports or JQL Booster Pack

With the first two, you'll get a function called parentOf()
In Scriptrunner there is a built-in function for this.

0 votes
Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2022

Hello @Kathrin

I do not agree with the other answers.

Simply use the following, where "X" is your project:

project = X AND issuetype not in subTaskIssueTypes() AND "Parent Link" is not EMPTY
Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2022

Sorry I misled you with one of my custom fields that allows this filter. Unfortunately I have to agree with the others. I worked around it by using automation.

Suggest an answer