How do I filter Activity Stream by a username with spaces in it?

Nicholas Segal May 1, 2018

To create an Activity Stream dashboard in Jira and view the tickets you commented on, you can go to Dashboards > Create Dashboard and add an Activity Stream gadget to it. This Activity Stream can be filtered by users. The filter separates each username with a space.

What can you do if your username or someone else's username has a space in it? Advanced answers accepted. 

26 answers

16 votes
Robert Tuxbury May 6, 2020

I can not get username to work for Jira. I have tried all the above options including the unique id they use now. I tried many case solutions as well for each solution. 

Glib Bakhtin June 2, 2020

Had the same case, what worked for me is to check the source code of any page in Jira and look for "ajs-remote-user" you should find something like <meta name="ajs-remote-user" content="some numbers here"> copy the content value - it's your username. 

Like # people like this
Tudor Brad June 2, 2020

Haha, this worked!!! Finally, thanks Robert.

NamVH June 17, 2020

good for me too :D

Ricardo Fonseca June 18, 2021

This way I could only create a activity stream of my own activity, has someone figured a way to get other users "ajs-remote-user" without having to log-in as them?

Rosa M Fossi June 23, 2021

I'm still not getting anything on the feed.  I've added a project and my own name (the userID numbers).   I want anything that involves me (work I do, at mentions, tickets assigned to me).... Do I need to do something different? 
CLOUD-proj-stream-ss.png

Ricardo Fonseca June 23, 2021

First off, please vote so that this bug is fixed:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75065

(activity stream username filter works on jira on premise, but not on cloud)

If you need a stream of your activities only, follow this steps as laid out by Glib Bakhtin Jun 02, 2020

Check the source code of any logged in page in Jira Cloud (in chrome: ctrl+u) and look for "ajs-remote-user" (ctrl+f) you should find something like <meta name="ajs-remote-usercontent="some numbers here"> copy the content value - it's your username. 

Like # people like this
Patricia August 12, 2021

As a dumb FYI if anyone was like me, the <content> should also include the "ug:" displayed before the number.

Like # people like this
Anita Pinto September 22, 2021

Hi - I am the administrator for Jira in our Organisation, I am trying to add multiple users to the activity stream. I followed Ricardo & Patricia's instructions above i.e. steps from Glib Bakhtin Jun. When I go to the Chromes source code of Issues where these other users have tasks assigned, I get my ID for ajs-remote-user and not the other users, have you experienced that? please advise. Thanks.

Ricardo Fonseca September 23, 2021

Hi Anita! 

First off, please vote so that this bug is fixed:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75065

This method using ajs-remote-user is for the scenario where you need your activity stream only.

You wont be able to get ajs-remote-user for other user unless you log into each account and do this process while logged in, or use Tudor Brad instructions (which I haven't tested)  

Tudor Brad September 23, 2021

My method still works for all users. Tried it yesterday 😊

Ricardo Fonseca October 6, 2021

Yep, confirmed!

I made a little tutorial based on your instructions that may help those trying to get this information:

activity stream.png

Like # people like this
Tudor Brad October 6, 2021

The horrors we do to have a functionality for a tool we pay :D 

Like # people like this
Andras Gombos December 12, 2021

Confirmed, it works. I've succeeded in excluding activity of the Automation user from the stream. Maybe someone will be looking for it, so here's the value between the tags (it's not a hash, like for “real” users):

addon_com.codebarrel.addons.automation

jira-dash-customization.png

Absolutely incredible that we have to resort to hacks like this. Huge thanks though Tudor, Glib, Ricardo and all!

Archit Bohra December 15, 2021

This works. You need to write the complete ug- thing.

6 votes
Tudor Brad August 20, 2020

Hi guys, I figured it out.

Create a random activity stream with everybody in it. Then pop-up the network developer tools, filter for XHR only, and clear previous data.

In the UI, click "Show More...". Notice that a couple of API requests are showing up in the console. Find the "Streams" one. It should look like this:

URL: https://xxx.atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/streams?maxResults=297&relativeLinks=true&streams=key+IS+xxx&issues=activity+IS+comment%3Apost+issue%3Aclose+issue%3Aupdate+issue%3Areopen+issue%3Aresolve+issue%3Atransition&_=1597951461619

Copy the entire response from the server in Visual Studio Code (or another good text editor) then search for the <usr:username> variable. You'll see them all there!

Lucas Stroutinski August 21, 2020

its worked thanks ! 

Rado July 29, 2021

Awesome! Worked perfectly fine

Ngo Hoang Viet October 13, 2021

Worked fine till now (13 Oct 2021)

Archit Bohra December 15, 2021

Nice. Works.

4 votes
Eli Nelson July 9, 2019

Also experiencing this problem in cloud, and unfortunately, first.last is not working, either.

Edit:  I wonder if the IS / IS NOT operators for Username only accept null/empty and not null.  Using "IS NOT" and null/empty is the only way I can get this filter to return any results.

Pedro Torres July 9, 2019

Try what comes before the @ in the user's email. Like "test" for "test@gmail.com"

Like # people like this
Eli Nelson July 9, 2019

I've tried that.  Our display names are FirstName LastName, and our emails are usually first.last@domain.com, or jdoe@domain.com.  I've also tried (for the benefit of others):

• first.last
  • firstlast
  • First Last
  • FirstLast
  • each of the above with (), "", and ("")
  • first.last@domain.com
  • First.Last
  • FirstLast
  • @FirstLast
  • @First Last
  • @First Last
  • @first last
  • first
  • last

I tried variants with different users, just in case there was a role issue.

Literally the only configuration that will call up any results using the Username filter is

• Username Is Not empty
  • Username Is Not null
Like # people like this
Eli Nelson September 10, 2019

I've also tried

• first last (with and without (), "", and (""))
Tom Wong November 5, 2019

What worked for me is typing their ACTUAL USERNAME, separated by commas. Our usernames are the same as email addresses, which uses first letter of first name and full last name.

So if the names are:

• John Doe
  • Mary Lady
  • Matt Lady
  • Mel Lady
  • Peter Person

I would enter in the field

jdoe,mlady,malady, melady, pperson

Like # people like this
Thibault_Delbeke February 18, 2020

Tom Wong's solution worked for me.

Sean M April 21, 2021

BUT THE TOOL TIP SAYS IT IS A SPACE SEPARATED LIST!!!

Another one of the death by 1000 papercuts. It seems like every day I find another reason to regret buying jira.

Like AshC likes this
4 votes
Gabriel Senna
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2018

Hi Nicholas,

How things are going with you?

I would like to know if you could solve this issue or not.

Could you please let us know?

Nicholas Segal June 11, 2018

Hi Gabriel,

I gave up after 2+ hours of trying. 

Like Vinh-Nga Huteau likes this
sanmattel.marydasan@momed.com July 31, 2018

facing same issue...

Like Glenn Gilbert likes this
AshC November 13, 2019

They updated the filter to be case sensitive, the proper syntax for most are is

Firstname.Lastname

This needs to be the first and last name displayed in the app, so if there was a typo of someone does not have a capital letter for one of their names this needs to be reflected in the filter.

Like # people like this
Atul_Patil December 23, 2019

@AshC Many thanks. I don't know why simple things in Jira made unnecessarily complicated. Why does finding username of oneself has to be so much challenging? I never knew it was firstname.lastname

Sujaira July 21, 2020

@Gabriel Senna This filter is still not working with Username. The filter only works when I use firstname.lastname but if the user changes their username to FirstName LastName nothing works. This filter should show suggestions when starting typing just like the Project Name works. 

When will this be fix?

Like # people like this
Ricardo Fonseca June 18, 2021
Rosa M Fossi June 23, 2021

@Ricardo Fonseca  Voted!!   

Meanwhile, I'm going to try to build a JQL to capture the "feed" like info I'm looking for... I may not see what happened, but at least I'll see a filter of which tickets have traffic. 

3 votes
Mikael Elkiær September 9, 2019

I got this working by using the name part of the e-mail, e.g. john when having a mail of john@company-domain.com.
However, I am trying to filter Tempo Timesheets logs, as it is spamming, but it doesn't seem that it has a username...

Craig Dawson September 9, 2019

Yes!

John Lee July 16, 2020

This worked for me.

Ümit Bas October 5, 2020

Great thanks! This worked for me too.

2 votes
Mikael Elkiær November 18, 2019

I actually discovered something really useful.
So my problem wasn't as much discovering usernames for people, but for a plugin - Tempo Timesheets to be exact. I tried any ID I could find, as well as any combination of firstname.surname etc., but none of them worked.

Then I figured out that if I did an advanced search, e.g. for a Reporter, it would suggest both name and username (switching to username when picked from auto-complete).

First search (username is already visible in parantheses and in tooltip):

Screenshot_1.png

Then by selecting the user from the suggestions, it will insert the complete username:

Screenshot_2.png

I then used that "username" in the filtering - and it actually worked!

ernestas.babachinas December 31, 2019

I got the same problem. 

I could filter some of the users, but some of them are not possible to include in the filter.

I tried various combination :(

Any recommendations would be useful.

Nedzad Hodzic September 29, 2020

Thanks @Mikael Elkiær , it worked for filtering Tempo from activity stream. Good one to use JQL to find out plugin username.

2 votes
Dylan Meares June 21, 2019

first.last worked for me.

Pretty terrible there's nothing to suggest this.. You would think it would start to auto-populate when you start typing.. 

Glenn Gilbert June 21, 2019

Yay.  Have a biscuit.  Or better still a pint on me.

JIRA Support - you're lacking.  In fact you should buy Dylan's beer and mine for that matter.

Like # people like this
Dylan Meares June 21, 2019

Worth mentioning it must all be lowercase lol

Like Nik.Langdon likes this
Pedro Torres June 26, 2019

@Dylan Meares thank you so much!! you saved my day 

Like Dylan Meares likes this
James Guiab July 26, 2019

This first.last didn't work for me :(

Inéz July 28, 2019

Try

first last

with a space in between

1 vote
Artem June 9, 2020

09 of June 2020 Cloud Confluence/Jira

Worked solution is to use the user ID that looks like 557059:2897fef1-2886-4c7c-8a4c-018a5199d993 or 5dd65aa4b093df0eedfa4600

To retrieve it use issues filter, apply user rule, choose the user, switch to JQL
His ID will be in the JQL line like

... AND assignee in (557059:2897fef1-2886-4c7c-8a4c-018a5199d993) ORDER BY...

or by opening Users profile https://yoursubdomain.atlassian.net/jira/people/search. Then the user ID will appear in his URL (at the end).

NB! activity stream is a bit odd still. For some users, it shows Confluence events only.
To get Jira events try to use an Activity filter with a combination of Username is not conditions. Use commas to apply more user IDs to a filter.

1 vote
Polyna Makarenko October 7, 2019

Well, I have the same problem! AAAAAAA DEVELOPERS HELP US ASAP!

1 vote
Janene Pappas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2019

Seriously this doesn't work? *insert head bash here*

1 vote
Glenn Gilbert June 4, 2019

Tried all combinations of username.  Nothing works.

Examples:

John Doe

"John Doe"

John_Doe

John+Doe

john doe

etc, etc, etc...

Unimpressed

BTW this USED TO WORK and broke 6 months ago approx.

1 vote
Mark Noble October 17, 2018

Same issue here. Judging by the time stamps I'm not optimistic about a fix.

Also, it's apparently fixed in the Server version - just not cloud. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-26881

1 vote
Michael Durbin September 20, 2018

Same here.... tried quotes, single quotes, nothing works...

1 vote
Carlos Peinado August 24, 2018

Yeah, same issue here, cannot figure out a solution

0 votes
Randdy Feliz October 28, 2020

Hello,

Steps to resolve this incident:

You must be a JIRA administrator to be able to log in with the affected user.

1. Enter the JIRA user administration
2. Log in with the affected user's account
3. Go to the user's profile
4. On that page, secondary click
5. View Page Source
6. Ctrl F (search)
7- Place ajs-remote-user
8. Copy this ID
9. Paste in the Activity Stream username filter

If you need more help please write to my email: randdyfeliz@hotmail.com

0 votes
J'nan Harrison August 27, 2020

Our usernames are our email addresses in the form of

first.last@company.co.nz

What worked for me was using

first.last 

0 votes
Lucas Stroutinski August 20, 2020

Hi all , 

My company use a lot the jira automation system in order to create , edit and transit issues .

The "Automation for Jira" user generated by the automation system do a lots of modification , is it possible to keep the activity stream free for the "Automation for Jira" user ?  

I've tried all the naming possible , and the user id but neither of them work...

Any ideas ? 

Lucas Stroutinski August 21, 2020

The method send by @Tudor Brad  worked , and i've been able to find this goddamn id .
By the way if anyone wonder what's the username of the "Automation for Jira" user , its : addon_com.codebarrel.addons.automation 

Like bastian.eichler likes this
bastian.eichler January 14, 2021

@Lucas Stroutinski You are my hero of the day. Thank you!!! I was looking to remove the Automation for Jira messages for so long and almost gave up.

0 votes
Tudor Brad May 28, 2020

I need to be able to create activity streams to track activity per username! it no longer works :(

Artem June 9, 2020

check my answer below

0 votes
Eric Smith March 6, 2020

My company uses firstname.lastname and my activity field wouldnt work. However, some of the accounts are on a different domain with the username flastname (first letter of first name and last name) and they were coming through fine. I swapped the firstname.lastname usernamess for their account id from a comment @mention and all the firstname.lastname accounts started working.

EDIT: Nope, was only confluence :(

0 votes
Lanny Heidbreder November 18, 2019

I have yet another anecdotal "This worked for me!" suggestion.

My full name is

Lanny Heidbreder

My email address is

lanny.heidbreder@company.com

And the string that finally worked for me in the JIRA activity feed username filter is

Lanny.Heidbreder

Only that exact capitalization worked; when I made it all lowercase as one of the previous replies suggested, it didn't work at all. When I used a space instead of a dot, it also didn't work.

I couldn't begin to guess whether the correct algorithm is "Take the username part of your email address with the capitalization your admin typed in, even if it shows up lowercase on your profile", or "Take your full name with original capitalization, replacing spaces with dots", or something else entirely.

Tom Wong November 18, 2019

I find that really comical. I actually find this whole thread comical that filtering for usernames can have such inconsistencies in how it works across different installations.

Like Andrew likes this
0 votes
Danylo Dotsenko November 13, 2019

For anyone still wondering, if you take the email your Atlassian account is registered to, and truncate the domain, the resulting 'username' should work! 

Ex: (johnsmith@gmail.com) -> Add 'johnsmith' as your username for the Widget filter. Worked for me! 

Brandon Loudermilk March 12, 2020

OMG this worked -- what a pain

0 votes
Adam Scott September 10, 2019

*EDIT* It seems only to work for Confluence, sorry.

I found how!

Atlassian seems to have removed the usernames from their systems, so do not try to recreate manually a username.

On a unfiltered activity, copy the link of the user you want to filter.

Capture d’écran de 2019-09-10 12-06-38.png

Then, copy the link somewhere to extract the accountId parameter.

username.png

If you insert the accountId in the username field, it should filter the user.

Eli Nelson September 10, 2019

Really neat idea - I tried it on Jira and it didn't work, unfortunately.  The only workable option for Username continues to be "Is Not Empty" for me.  

Gabor Hrasko September 10, 2019

This works on Confluence for me.

Like Victor Varvaryuk likes this
Jack Everard October 22, 2019

firstname.lastname worked for me

Dan Zimet May 15, 2020

Worked for me. So ObViOuS!

0 votes
Inéz July 12, 2019

Use "first last"

It worked for me :D

Jerry Lin September 3, 2019