It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I filter Activity Stream by a username with spaces in it? Edited

To create an Activity Stream dashboard in Jira and view the tickets you commented on, you can go to Dashboards > Create Dashboard and add an Activity Stream gadget to it. This Activity Stream can be filtered by users. The filter separates each username with a space.

What can you do if your username or someone else's username has a space in it? Advanced answers accepted. 

18 answers

4 votes

Hi Nicholas,

How things are going with you?

I would like to know if you could solve this issue or not.

Could you please let us know?

Hi Gabriel,

I gave up after 2+ hours of trying. 

Like Glenn Gilbert likes this
AshC I'm New Here Nov 13, 2019

They updated the filter to be case sensitive, the proper syntax for most are is

Firstname.Lastname

This needs to be the first and last name displayed in the app, so if there was a typo of someone does not have a capital letter for one of their names this needs to be reflected in the filter.

2 votes

first.last worked for me.

Pretty terrible there's nothing to suggest this.. You would think it would start to auto-populate when you start typing.. 

Yay.  Have a biscuit.  Or better still a pint on me.

JIRA Support - you're lacking.  In fact you should buy Dylan's beer and mine for that matter.

Like Dylan Meares likes this

Worth mentioning it must all be lowercase lol

Like Nik.Langdon likes this

@Dylan Meares thank you so much!! you saved my day 

Like Dylan Meares likes this

This first.last didn't work for me :(

Try

first last

with a space in between

Also experiencing this problem in cloud, and unfortunately, first.last is not working, either.

Edit:  I wonder if the IS / IS NOT operators for Username only accept null/empty and not null.  Using "IS NOT" and null/empty is the only way I can get this filter to return any results.

Try what comes before the @ in the user's email. Like "test" for "test@gmail.com"

Like # people like this

I've tried that.  Our display names are FirstName LastName, and our emails are usually first.last@domain.com, or jdoe@domain.com.  I've also tried (for the benefit of others):

• first.last
  • firstlast
  • First Last
  • FirstLast
  • each of the above with (), "", and ("")
  • first.last@domain.com
  • First.Last
  • FirstLast
  • @FirstLast
  • @First Last
  • @First Last
  • @first last
  • first
  • last

I tried variants with different users, just in case there was a role issue.

Literally the only configuration that will call up any results using the Username filter is

• Username Is Not empty
  • Username Is Not null

I've also tried

• first last (with and without (), "", and (""))
Tom Wong I'm New Here Nov 05, 2019

What worked for me is typing their ACTUAL USERNAME, separated by commas. Our usernames are the same as email addresses, which uses first letter of first name and full last name.

So if the names are:

• John Doe
  • Mary Lady
  • Matt Lady
  • Mel Lady
  • Peter Person

I would enter in the field

jdoe,mlady,malady, melady, pperson

Yeah, same issue here, cannot figure out a solution

Same here.... tried quotes, single quotes, nothing works...

Same issue here. Judging by the time stamps I'm not optimistic about a fix.

Also, it's apparently fixed in the Server version - just not cloud. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-26881

Tried all combinations of username.  Nothing works.

Examples:

John Doe

"John Doe"

John_Doe

John+Doe

john doe

etc, etc, etc...

Unimpressed

BTW this USED TO WORK and broke 6 months ago approx.

I got this working by using the name part of the e-mail, e.g. john when having a mail of john@company-domain.com.
However, I am trying to filter Tempo Timesheets logs, as it is spamming, but it doesn't seem that it has a username...

Yes!

Seriously this doesn't work? *insert head bash here*

1 vote

Well, I have the same problem! AAAAAAA DEVELOPERS HELP US ASAP!

This is very inconvenient when attempting to track an individual users activity across Jira and Confluence cloud. Anyone know of a work around or a different gadget?

+1 same issue

Same here, I really need this gadget to track my activity;
Please fix this.

Use "first last"

It worked for me :D

nope   .....  not even with the ""

it should be without ""

like:

first last

*EDIT* It seems only to work for Confluence, sorry.

I found how!

Atlassian seems to have removed the usernames from their systems, so do not try to recreate manually a username.

On a unfiltered activity, copy the link of the user you want to filter.

Capture d’écran de 2019-09-10 12-06-38.png

Then, copy the link somewhere to extract the accountId parameter.

username.png

If you insert the accountId in the username field, it should filter the user.

Really neat idea - I tried it on Jira and it didn't work, unfortunately.  The only workable option for Username continues to be "Is Not Empty" for me.  

This works on Confluence for me.

Like Victor Varvaryuk likes this

firstname.lastname worked for me

0 votes

For anyone still wondering, if you take the email your Atlassian account is registered to, and truncate the domain, the resulting 'username' should work! 

Ex: (johnsmith@gmail.com) -> Add 'johnsmith' as your username for the Widget filter. Worked for me! 

I have yet another anecdotal "This worked for me!" suggestion.

My full name is

Lanny Heidbreder

My email address is

lanny.heidbreder@company.com

And the string that finally worked for me in the JIRA activity feed username filter is

Lanny.Heidbreder

Only that exact capitalization worked; when I made it all lowercase as one of the previous replies suggested, it didn't work at all. When I used a space instead of a dot, it also didn't work.

I couldn't begin to guess whether the correct algorithm is "Take the username part of your email address with the capitalization your admin typed in, even if it shows up lowercase on your profile", or "Take your full name with original capitalization, replacing spaces with dots", or something else entirely.

Tom Wong I'm New Here Monday

I find that really comical. I actually find this whole thread comical that filtering for usernames can have such inconsistencies in how it works across different installations.

I actually discovered something really useful.
So my problem wasn't as much discovering usernames for people, but for a plugin - Tempo Timesheets to be exact. I tried any ID I could find, as well as any combination of firstname.surname etc., but none of them worked.

Then I figured out that if I did an advanced search, e.g. for a Reporter, it would suggest both name and username (switching to username when picked from auto-complete).

First search (username is already visible in parantheses and in tooltip):

Screenshot_1.png

Then by selecting the user from the suggestions, it will insert the complete username:

Screenshot_2.png

I then used that "username" in the filtering - and it actually worked!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

365 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you