How do I exclude a component from search?

I want to exclude a component name from a search.

When I try to add Not, Not In, Is Not from this query:

component = is not "Component Name" AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened) AND assignee in (mzhilin) ORDER BY priority DESC

I get this error:
Error in the JQL Query: Expecting either 'OR' or 'AND' but got 'is'. (line 1, character 23)

What am I doing wrong?

5 answers

1 accepted

Comments Closed
0 vote

You've got "= is" at the front. That's two operators in one place. Decide which one you want to use and remove the other. I'd tend towards "is not" as it's a little more readable than !=

1 vote
Joe Wai Tye Atlassian Team Sep 10, 2013

Hi Greg,

Perhaps you could try replacing the '= is not' with '!=', for example, like this :

component != "Component Name" AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened) AND assignee in (mzhilin) ORDER BY priority DESC

Please give this query a try and see if it suits your requirements :)

you should't use "component = is not "Component Name"" like this.

you have to use like component != "Component Name"

That was it.

Thanks!

I'm on JIRA 7.1.8 and none of the "not" operators work. In my case, I want a filter for issues that don't contain a component called XYZ. In the test project (PROJ) the issues either contain a component named XYZ or the component field is empty. In the future I plan to have a mix of blank component fields and some issues that have one or more components in them.

If I say "project = PROJ AND component = XYZ" or "project = PROJ AND component in (XYZ)" I get all the issues with that component. This is expected.

If I say "project = PROJ AND component != XYZ" or "project = PROJ AND component not in (XYZ)", I expect to see all the issues that have a blank component, but instead I get "No issues were found to match your search".

If I use the "project = PROJ AND component is EMPTY" I will get all the issues where the component field is empty. While you may think this is what I want, it isn't. I want is all issues where the components are empty OR any any issues where the component is NOT XYZ.

Any suggestions?

I would ask this again as a new question.  The original conversation is almost 5 years old and things have changed.

However you are nearly there - try combining the empty clause with an or on "not in xyz"

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,305 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot