How do I ensure my test JIRA instance has the same plugins as production?

John Cheng October 4, 2016

I'd like to ensure a test JIRA instance has the same plugins as the production. Is there a documented way to copy/clone/rsync off plugins from one JIRA to another ....via command line? 

The docs (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/UPM/Installing+add-ons) refer to "Plugins 1" and "Plugins 2". However in my prod instance, I also see /opt/atlassian/jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled-plugins/* 

I can do a cycle of trial and error tomorrow but I figure I'll fire off a question here. 

For more context: I want to do something like: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/12911037 via Ansible. I have the basics there (local mysql), but now it's more about how fully automated I can get it. 

2 answers

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2016

Sometimes you may have add-ons installed in your staging instance for testing and you don't want to uninstall those usually

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2016

UPM Command Line Interface (CLI) can provide some help for you in this area. Specifically:

1. getAddonList so you can compare between the systems
  2. installAddon so you can install missing add-ons

John Cheng October 5, 2016

For me those links currently go no where - it looks like the JIRA part of bobswift.atlassian.net is available but not the wiki part (for the UPM CLI):

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 10.07.24 AM.png

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2016

Sorry about that. I forgot to enable anonymous access. Should work now. Thanks for letting me know.

John Cheng October 5, 2016

Thanks! Nice work.

I have a dangerous question: Would you say everything that the UPM CLI can be done if you know your way around the JIRA API, and are willing to spend the time and effort? Or in other words how much "secret sauce" is in the UPM CLI?

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2016

There is no magic involved, just a simple matter of programming wink.

Suggest an answer