How do I display custom fields in the detailed issue view

Patrick Thielen April 22, 2013

This question has bee asked many times but I can't find any satisfying answer.

I (and other askers) am not referring to the screen that pops up when an issue is created or edited (these can be configured using the Screen Scheme) but the detailed browse view as pictured in https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/75660/how-can-i-change-the-main-view-of-an-issue.

Can this be done in AOD ?

4 answers

1 accepted

17 votes
Answer accepted
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2013

In addition to the answers above mine, or below, or both, depending on which one will receive most votes ;)
A custom fields requires to have a value in order to show up. You can accomplish this by giving it a default value, or make the field required in any of the transitions. Additionally, you will find some helpful details on configuring fields and screen starting here.

Patrick Thielen April 22, 2013

Thanks Mik this was the point !

In my case the field is a Tempo _account_ field, that shows up as a a dropdown list. Despite the field was effectively empty, the list displays the name of an account if there is only one possible choice (call it a feature or bug ;), instead of displaying "please select". This deceived me beacause I saw the field with a value when pressing edit, but not in the "issue view".

By the way, is it possible to assign a default value for a Tempo _account_ field ?

Like Pankaj Badaya likes this
Vimitha July 15, 2019

Is this possible with Jira Service Desk, while creating a ticket by Mail?

8 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

That is the "View" issue screen. You can add fields to that screen under Screen schemes and can hide/show fields using field config schemes but the fields will appear only under "Details" after the standard fields. User and Date fields will appear on the right side under people/Dates.

The standard fields and sections cannot be moved and the custom fields cannot be added under any other sections. Does that answer your question?

AKASH BHARDWAJ November 3, 2015

I had the same issue and it answers my query. Thanks,

Martin Gregory March 22, 2016

How do I edit the "View" issue screen?  I have gone to Admin->Screens and I don't have a "View" screen there?

I have a "default" screen, but when I take fields off that, they still appear on the "main" view of the issue (which doesn't seem to have a good name).   I mean the view that the OP linked to.

On that view, there is an Admin menu that can "add fields", but how to take them off?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2016

The screens listed in Admin -> Screens could be used for anything (view, create, edit or transitions).  You need to work out which one is in use for "view" by reading through the "screen scheme" configuration of the project, as Jobin said.

Martin Gregory March 22, 2016

Thanks for your fast response.  I am stuck at trying to work out which "screen" in the "View Screens" administration section is being used to display issues in the "main" view.      I know how to find what screens are used on transitions, but not for "standard operations" - especially "the main view".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2016

Go to the project you want to investigate, and look for the admin settings.

In there, look for the "issue type screen scheme" - this says "issue type X uses scheme Y".

Now you have scheme Y, look at that in the Admin -> screen schemes page.  You'll find the scheme maps the Create, Edit and View actions to individual screens.  That's where you need tothink about edinting!

Martin Gregory February 5, 2018

So - I finally had another try at this and was not successful.

I followed the steps you described, which seemed promising.   I arrived at the screen scheme page for the project and it says "these issues use this screen for "View"

But - that screen has all the fields I'm interested in.  In fact, it has _lots_.   Only a small subset of these show up in the "detail view" presented next to scrum boards.

Matthew Fanning June 21, 2018

I am having the same issue. Did you have any luck getting this working?

Martin Gregory June 21, 2018

Nope.

Recommend forget about it.

Matthew Fanning June 21, 2018

This seems to be a common theme with JIRA. I wish there were half decent alternatives out there.

Martin Gregory June 21, 2018

I am more than half tempted to start a crowdfunding ...

Matthew Fanning July 3, 2018

I've found it, completely by accident.

• Go to your board
  • Hit the 'Board' button on the top right
  • Hit 'configure'
  • On the left hand side, under 'configuration' press 'Issue Detail View'
  • Under 'General Fields' choose your custom field, and hit Add.

Turns out its pretty simple, but it doesn't sit with all the other 'screen' things listed elsewhere here. The interface for this kind of thing is utterly infuriating. I'm dreading upgrading to 7 and potentially having similar frustrations.

Like # people like this
Martin Gregory July 3, 2018

Whoa - thank you so much!   

Who would have thought: this view is board-specific!

And who would have thought that the previous answers posted here would be so wrong.

This is just great :)

Christina Hall October 5, 2018

Thank you Matthew!!

Maarten Vergouwe October 26, 2018

I don't see a Board button. I see three dots for a menu, then I can click "Board settings", but then I don't see "Configuration" or "Issue Detail View" or "General Fields".
Has Jira updated again without providing the same functionality?

Maarten Vergouwe October 26, 2018

Well, actually, I found it!

For my case: Jira settings -> Custom fields -> Story Points -> menu -> Configure -> Edit configuration -> Choose applicable issue types.
Now I can have story points on improvements as well.

Like Simon H likes this
Tom Vian November 1, 2018

Thanks Matthew!

Richard Fenton January 23, 2019

I thought finding myself was an existential experience.

Like Oreste_Chiriac likes this
scott_lake September 3, 2020

Matthew Fanning FTW!!!!!  This is going to save me probably hundreds of thousands of clicks from the present to when I retire.

1 vote
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

Hi Patrick, this documentation it's good for AOD too:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Screen

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2013

That's the "issue view" screen. You add the custom fields to the "view" screen in the "screen scheme", and they will appear on the issue details. There's a link to the documentation in the question you've linked to.

(I really do think I'm completely missing the point of the question here though)

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

@Nic, I think that's the point, but the problem is how to do it maybe?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2013

Yup, that's why I'm asking - as the answer is there in the link in the question, I'm really not sure why he's asking the question! And, on the back of that, I often misunderstand questions, so wanted to check. (Also, that's why I'm waving at the documentation - if I've understood the initial question correctly, then the follow-up is "where are you struggling with the docs?")

Deleted user November 7, 2013

I've been trying to add a custom "acceptance tests" field beneath the "description" field on the main "view issue" screen unsuccessfully for ages - I now realise it isn't possioble (only on the create pop-up). Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2013

It's perfectly possible, it turns out the problem here was simply that the poster didn't quite grasp that they needed to change the VIEW screen at first, and then, that fields will only appear when they have data.

But when I go to "Screens" I don't see a "View" screen, my complete list of screens is:

• Default screen
  • Resolve issue screen
  • Workflow screen

I've updated the "Default screen" to show "Acceptance Tests" after "Description" in the create/edit issue pop up, but the main view/edit screen always shows "Acceptance tests" in the top section.

Any help gratefully appreciated. I've spent far too long on this already!

thanks,
Mark.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2013

Two parts here:

Sorry, you've misunderstood.

The create, edit and view screens are determined by the screen-scheme and issue-type-screen-scheme. They're pointers to the screens to be used. This is so you can do "for issue type A in project B, use screen C to view and edit, and screen D to create it". You've got the three default screens on your list of screens, and it's quite likely that your screen scheme says "use the screen called 'default screen' for create, edit and view"

So, the second part

You've probably done the right thing in editing the "default screen" in order to get this "acceptance tests" into the issue view, but you're saying it's appearing in the top panel. That makes me think it's not a standard custom field, as those all appear below description (unless they are dates or people fields). What *type* of field is it?

Thanks very much or the clarification and your help Nic.

I only have a "default issue type screen scheme" and "default screen scheme" which uses the "default" screen so this should be as straightforward as is gets for now, but I may want to make things more complicated later.

It's not a "standard" custom field from an add-on, it's one we've created ourselves as a free text text field (unlimited text) using the wiki renderer. Does this mean it will always appear at the top?

thanks again.

Mark.

Just added a standard custom field

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2013

Does that mean you've written a plugin, or just added a standard custom field?

Roxanna Maynard April 2, 2014

I am having exactly the same issue. I have added a Text Field (multi-line) to an issue type. I can move the field around in relation to the other field on the view screen by dragging it to a new location on the Issues > Configure Screen. However I am unable to make any of the fields go below the description field.

Is there a limitation that the Description field will always be displayed below all the other fields?

PayFort Admin May 3, 2014

Hi,

I am facing the same issue, added a new text field called (Acceptance Conditions) that should be displayed after the Description field. Unfortunately, it's displayed in the Details section which is above the Description field. Is there any way I can move it under?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2014

The answer here is "code". The view screen pulls certain fields out of your list into panels to group them logically- fields with users, fields with dates and all the built-in system fields. The rest are place in the custom field area.

To move other fields out of the custom field area into arbitrary places, you need to modify the code behind the view screen.

Or you could try javascript, but, seriously, don't. It's a pain to get it right in every place, it's hard to maintain, almost guaranteed to break on every upgrade, and robustly despised by every sane Jira admin you'll meet.

Kshitij Peter September 24, 2014

So is there only one way to get my custom free form field above the Description field?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2014

Yes. Code. Hack the core of jira or do something vile with javascript.

Development June 22, 2016

Hi,

I am facing the same issue, i make one custom field hide when condition is false but when condition is true that time custom field visible in issue view screen but this custom field not visible on workflow screen, 

Any help gratefully appreciated. I've spent 2 day on this already!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2016

Same answer really.

Martin Gregory July 3, 2018

Completely wrong.

See the correct answer from Matthew Fanning, above.

Suggest an answer