How do I disable the bulk change limit?

Anthony Mastrean June 5, 2014

I can't seem to find any documentation on the bulk change limits in JIRA. I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons for the limits to exist. I'm still curious how to bypass or disable those limits in limited, administrative scenarios (I have to bulk change one field on 10,000 issues).

Do those third-party command line tools offer any relief?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2014

Anthony,

Do you have access to the system itself? If so, you'll need to naviate to /atlassian-jira/web-inf/classes/jira-application.properties and modify the file below. You will want to increase that issuecount to 10,000. Be advised, this will require a restart:

# Limits the number of issues that may be edited via a bulk operation in one go.

# This may be useful if you are experiencing performance issues due to a large number of concurrent edits of

# large number of issues. Please note that this should NOT be used to disable bulk edit operations. Use the

# Global 'Bulk Change' permission accessible via the Admin interface in JIRA to do this.

# If a user tries to edit more than the provided number of issues here, an error will be displayed.

# Set the count to a negative number (-1) or simply comment out this property for unlimited number of issues.

jira.bulk.edit.limit.issue.count = 1000

Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2014

Correct, this is a system-wide change.

Anthony Mastrean June 6, 2014

I do have access to the server. This would change the limit for every bulk change permitted user, right?

Suggest an answer