How do I disable "start a team" for restricted users?

Iain Samuel McLean Elder November 14, 2019

I've set up a project on my company's Jira Cloud site as a way to share project information with our clients.

I'm trying to set up the Jira site with minimal permissions for the client users.

Our clients are assigned as viewers of only the relevant projects. Within the project this allows them to see and comment on issues, but not do much else. That's basically all the permissions they need.

However, I haven't figured out how to disable the "Start a team" button that appears when the client user visits the people page.

start-a-team-button-jira.png

https://keepler.atlassian.net/jira/people/search

We don't yet have a need to define any teams in our Jira site, and I don't want clients to have the option at all. If we need to add them to a team, we'll do that for them.

How do I disable creating teams for these users?

6 answers

2 votes
Raph January 22, 2021

Hello. I stumbled on this question because I was looking for a way to disable it. If it's not possible, at least is there a way to block people from being able to see everyone under "Search people and teams"?

Volker Jakob January 22, 2021

Hi Raph,

according to the support team from Atlassian, there's no possibility to disable this functionality. There's an open feature request regarding this topic, where you can vote for: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75734

That's unfortunately all you can do for now.

Raph January 22, 2021

Ok I did. It sucks because this means if I invite clients, they can see each other unless I create a role per client.

Volker Jakob January 22, 2021

Yes, they see each other, but it's further not possible to restrict this with dedicated client roles. This functionality depends on the global permission for Browsing users and groups. Means, you can deactivate this global permission and your clients won't see each other, but then they won't be able to mention other users in comments.

Jay Bernier July 6, 2023

Atlasssian had a very similar issue with being able to see your organization's users, that they closed because they created the concept of "Guests" - now we're right back to the main issue, is that restricted users ( like clients whom are already users ) can see your org! - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-7837

1 vote
Jarosław Jerke March 11, 2021

This is huge problem. Disabling this feature is very needed.

1 vote
Deleted user March 26, 2020

find an answer to this Iain? Just noticed the same thing in Confluence cloud.

Shame no-one at Atlassian answered :(

Jarosław Jerke March 11, 2021

Atlassian long ago started rolling out new features without prior consulting with users. Most of the functions are ill-conceived and hence serious holes come out. If Atlassian continues to ignore users' opinions, nothing will change

0 votes
Erin Quick-Laughlin October 12, 2022

We are experiencing a lot of confusion because we cannot disable the People > Team, and we are using the Plan > Team (Advanced Roadmap Team, Shared Team, Team[Team], etc).

Now when using the '@' to mention, it has gone one step further, to suggest we should create the type of team we don't want.

Screenshot 2022-10-12 130135.png

It has been difficult enough to make use of the Shared Team in Advanced Roadmaps, since that does not yet have full support, without having to explain why this 'team' is not what they want to do. 

Or, merge the functionality please?  

0 votes
Anish Deena
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2020

@Iain Samuel McLean Elder @Reva Tolliver @[deleted] Thanks for the question. 

We currently do not have a way to disable teams. But if permissions are the issue here, Teams are not associated permissions currently. At this point in time, Teams are simply collections of people used for collaboration (shares, mentions). The controls for content restrictions, licensing, etc still lie with admin. This means that users (clients) cannot use teams to gain access to something they are not supposed to have access to in the first place.  Hope this helps.

However, I understand that admins seeking to maintain top-down control might want to disable teams going forward. Will take this as feedback :) 

Note: One possible workaround (Albeit not an ideal one) would be to disable the directory itself which will prevent users from being able to access people and teams information.

Deleted user April 7, 2020

Thanks for the update Anish.

Unfortunately when you say things like "admins seeking to maintain top-down control" i really do despair.

The Atlassian cloud suite is a production tool - used in millions of businesses around the globe. Yet Atlassian still seems surprised that admins might want to maintain top-down control.

Thats what we are paid to do: Protect our company assets and pipelines via top down control !

Like Tyler Rankin likes this
Volker Jakob December 15, 2020

Hi Anish,

could you please share the information for how disable the directory itself? Thank you.

Volker

Volker Jakob January 12, 2021

Find this by myself in the meantime.

This basically means the global permission for Browse user and groups. Unfortunately this disables also the possibility for mentioning other people within comments.

It would be great if there will be a way to disable this functionality or that it respects not only global permissions.

Like vee likes this
ITDevOps February 23, 2021

We use an instance of confluence to provide documentation to our customers and not in every case they should know of each other. Therefore we want to disable as much collaboration as possible.

That's a usecase, it's not the wish of administrators to control everything top-down.

Regards, Mike

Like # people like this
0 votes
Reva Tolliver April 6, 2020

I have the same question?  I don't want every users able to create Teams as it will get very disorganized.

Suggest an answer