How do I determine what type/version of Jira I am using?

Rick Andrews March 25, 2021

I don't know how to tell what version or type of Jira I am using.  I need to know which one I am using so I can get to the appropriate help to learn how to use it.  I inherited the role of Administrator in my company without any experience or training.

I reviewed a similar discussion "What version of Jira am i using" that was posted in 2017 and later closed, but it doesn't seem to be current/relevant to the version I'm using.  E.g., it tells me to open Jira->About, but I can't find any "About" pages.  Besides, I'm more interested in determining the type/version rather that just being told what version I have because I want to find out what version every one of our developers is using, as I don't think they are all using the same.  

For example, if one of our developers is using Jira Cloud, where can I go to see where it says "Jira Cloud"?

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

Oh, there's a whole mess of options here that could lead to an essay answer, and it's changed so much (albeit in mostly subtle ways) since the answer you got from 2017.

However, at the time I'm scribbling this, there are two steps that tell us 95-100% of what we need:

1.  Look at the url.  If it is "https://<something>.atlassian.net/<more stuff>", then you are on Atlassian Cloud.

2.  If it is not an atlassian.net address, then you are on server or DC, and help -> about (the (?) at the top right you've mentioned) will give you the version of Jira server/dc you are on, as well as telling you if it's server or DC

Most Cloud users are hoping the easy identification in point 1 will change, we really do need custom domains, which would break the test in 1.  But for now, that test for cloud works fine.  Look to the url!

Rick Andrews March 25, 2021

Wow, I don't think I could have asked for a better answer.  Thank you!!

But, of course, your answer leads me to additional related questions. 

What is DC?  First I've heard of it.  

Regarding just Atlassian Cloud, I was told that there's a free version, a standard version, and maybe other versions.  Is there anyway of telling what version of Atlassian Cloud someone is using?  I did discover that if I try to add more than 10 users, it tells me I'm on the free plan (I guess it's a plan, not a version), and tells me to upgrade to the standard plan.

I'm a bit confused who different people within the same company can be using different versions of the Atlassian Cloud to track the same issues/sprints.  That's what started my investigation.  Are there different URLs for the various cloud plans?  

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2021

@Rick Andrews 

• DC is Data Center
  • If your system admin goes to System Settings > Manage Subscriptions, it will tell you what plan (not version) you're on - see more on the plans available here
  • A single URL will have the one plan applied to it

A plan is just the subscription level, and the different plans offer different capabilities - e.g. a more expensive plan may have a higher storage limit or better support features

Rick Andrews March 26, 2021

Thanks Callum.  The sad truth is that I AM the system admin :-( 

lintek214 October 23, 2022

There was a time when the free Jira expired. Has that changed or will I be able to use the free Jira Cloud forever as long as I stay within the license parameters?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2022

The free option for Jira will not expire, although you do have to use and renew it to keep it active.

Suggest an answer