How do I detect a change in value of an issue field?

Murat Goksel October 25, 2019

For Jira Server software -- not Cloud!

I want to detect when the value of a certain issue field, namely the Original Estimate field, changes. I want to detect it because I need to update an external application according to that change. What's the best way to do that in Jira? I'm assuming it's going to be some sort of an event listener. Could you guys give me some tips on how to achieve this?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
RianS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2019

There are some third party apps/plugins that can help accomplish this. I don't know of a way to do this easily with the core product. Another plugin that can probably accomplish this is the Automation for Jira app. This can detect some field changes and run business rules.

There are probably a number of others that can do this as well.

The only other way I can think to do this without the plugins is possibly listening for the "Issue Updated" event and then verifying whether the field you are looking for has changed. This would be pretty inefficient as it would need to check every issue that was updated.

0 votes
Leo
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2019

Hi @Murat Goksel ,

You can try out ScriptRunner's Custom Listener

Refer THIS page for more details

BR,

Leo

Suggest an answer