How do I delete an issue filter in JIRA?

Ed July 31, 2018

I'm a software developer who uses JIRA on a daily basis. I created a filter, but named it badly when I saved it. I was able to copy it under a new name and fix the criteria, but I want to delete the original filter now. The Atlassian documentation is of no help because what it describes is different than my interface.

How can I delete a bad filter from my filters list? I can find no filter management ability in the "new, improved" interface and clicking the JIRA icon only shows me a project dashboard, with no option to get to an configuration settings. Can anyone help me get rid of one stupid filter?

5 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2018

Hello,

That is how you can delete a shared filter, if you have the Jira administrator permission:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-shared-filters-818578900.html

To delete your private filter open the magnifying glass icon and then choose the View all filters option:

Untitled.pngAfter it you will see a list of your filters. You will be able to delete any of them.

Ed July 31, 2018

Sorry, my JIRA doesn't look much like yours: clicking the main icon shows me a dashboard. I did eventually open the Search action. By scrolling down through all the options, there was a *View all filters* option where you said it would be, but it wasn't on the visible page. It was difficult to find.

I dug around a little more and found a different *View all filters* option on the Issues and Filters tab. Again, it was hidden way down at the bottom where I had to scroll to see it. I was able to bring up the list of all filters, as you mentioned. Clicking on the ... button next to my filter, I was able to activate the Delete option to finally get rid of the bad one.

Thanks for your help.

Damn, this new interface sucks horribly.

Like # people like this
Miriam Hopton November 13, 2020

Thank you for posting this, this helped me clean up my saved searches! You rock!

Like Janet Courtney likes this
Sameh Tawfik January 12, 2022

Thanks for posting this information.

carlos_ijalba August 2, 2023

Updating as of 02/08/2023:

For Jira Cloud, I can delete filters via 2 ways:

1.- Filters > View All Filters > ··· on the right to each filter then Delete (if you are the owner, otherwise you will have to change the owner to yourself then delete).

2.- System > Filters > Manage Filters > ··· on the right to each filter then Delete Filter (if you are the owner, otherwise you will have to change the owner to yourself then delete).

2 votes
Ian Price March 27, 2019

The only way I can find to resolve this issue is to mark the issue as a favourite, go to the favourites listing and then the gear icon will appear and you can delete the filter.

Ryan Shaw July 23, 2019

Same here. That is terrible!

Like Constanze Schmidt likes this
Constanze Schmidt March 3, 2021

I still cannot believe this is the only option. But up to now, I couldn´t figure out another way:-(. And I did not find the option 'View all filters' that Ed described. I´m not on confluence, however. We use server  

0 votes
Vince Pierdomenico November 11, 2022

Thank you for this thread - I was going crazy trying to delete filters that were automatically created when I created temporary scrum boards.   In the end, all I had to do was select Issues->Manage Filters and then click on "My" on the left side to see filters I created...then do the gear dropdown on the right and select delete.   It's always clearer after there's a solution lol...

0 votes
A. Truelsen November 3, 2022

With scriptrunner you can do something like

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.SearchRequestManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.SearchRequest
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
def srm = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(SearchRequestManager)
def usr = ComponentAccessor.getUserManager().getUserByName("some_user")
srm.getAllOwnedSearchRequests(usr).each { SearchRequest sr ->
    if (sr.getName().contains("filter_name")){
        srm.delete(sr.getId())
    }
 }
0 votes
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2018

@Ed

1. Locate the filter you wish to delete.
  2. Select more (•••) > Delete filter.

Best!

Ed July 31, 2018

No go. I was able to select the bad filter, but there was no *more (...)* button. Even the filter's Edit screen had nothing helpful where you would absolutely expect to find it.

As I stated to Alexey below, I eventually found a View all filters list with *...* buttons. They had a Delete option in the menu that I was able to use.

Makes you wonder if anybody at Atlassian ever tried to use the new interface. It takes several clicks to do anything, where the old one had important actions immediately available just a click or context menu away. Do you know any way to get the old, useful interface back?

Thanks for your attempt to help.

Janet Courtney September 23, 2020

It took me 30 minutes - I finally found it too.. have to agree the interface is terrible. Not intuitive at all.  I opened the filter I wanted to delete. Then I went to Issues --> more... and was able to then select the gear icon and delete.  

Intuitively, one should be able to delete filters via the  "Manage filters" or "Search Filters" functions, but this tool makes you stumble through and finally succeed by selecting "Filters, more..."

It is Sept. 2020 - still not intuitive.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer