How do I create two different boards/view from the same backlog for a team that split into 2?

joy_martins
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 2, 2024

Hello, 

Recently, one of my teams split into 2 teams. Because they are still working from the same backlog, I would like to have two different views/boards for each team while still maintaining the same backlog. Only issue is we have 2 QE resources that will still be assigned to both teams, so how can I create two separate boards to where the work for each team is only showing on that their board 

Option 1 -I created two separate boards and filtered out by person. The issue with that is the two QE resources that still aligned to both teams are still showing both their works across both teams on both boards

Option 2- Tried to create a label for each team and filter the board by the label, but I would have to label 1000+ stories in order for it to show effectively.  Since then, the Start/Edit/Delete sprint button is missing from the backlog. 

What is the best practice tp split these boards?

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2024

Hello @joy_martins 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

To create two boards that show issues for just one team each you will have to use something in each issue to identify the team that owns the issue. That could be a Label, or a Component, or the Team field, or another custom selection list field. There really is no way around that.

You can then create a filter for each team that selects all issues from the project that have that custom team value. You might also loose to include in both filters the issues where that field is empty.

You could create the filter based on Assignee, but as you found the individuals working in both teams see all their work in both boards. You could add the custom team ownership value to the issues for only those two people, if you don't want to update all issues with that custom value.

The ability to manage sprints may have been lost if your filter for the board doesn't explicitly constrain the issues selected to specific projects. Without that constrain in the filter you would need to have the Manage Sprints permission in absolutely every project in the Jira instance.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events