How do I create linkage between 2 JIRA User Stories from different site?

anson.wu April 26, 2023

Currently there are 2 JIRA sites in use at the same time: global, local. We create a User Story A in Global JIRA and another User Story B in Local JIRA. What we expect is, we could set B as 'related issue' in A User Story. However, it's now reporting error that it could NOT link to a story in another site.

I would like to know whether there is way to link User Stories from different JIRA site.

2 answers

1 vote
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Hi @anson.wu

welcome to the Atlassian Community.

In order to link 2 User Stories (or issues in general) from different sites, the sites need to be connected with an application link. You can find more details how to do this in Atlassian's documentation.

After you've setup the link, you can choose which Jira you want to link to. You can see an example here from our Jira.

link-issues.png

Is this what you're looking for?

Cheers,
Matthias.

PS: Check out the FAQ page to get started in the community.

0 votes
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Hi @anson.wu 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You will have to setup Application Links between your Global and Local Jira instance using which you can set up link between two issues across your Jira instances.  Can you confirm if you are using Atlassian Cloud or self hosted Data Center/Server instance ?

anson.wu May 2, 2023

Hi @Kishan Sharma , actually it's self hosted instance on Cloud. May I know if any way to connect both?

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

Hi @anson.wu 

Yes, you can create the application links either from cloud or server, and then create the reciprocal link while authorizing the connection.

1. In your product, go to Administration.

2. Navigate to Application links.

3. Enter the URL of the target product, and select Create new link.

4. Use the wizard to complete setup of the application link. You’ll be redirected between your products to authorize the link. After that, the link should appear in both products.

Refer this link for more details. I will also suggest you to through - Link Atlassian applications to work together to understand how application links work.

Suggest an answer