How do I create common sprint for requests from other projects?

Ruslan Likhotinsky September 30, 2019

Also, what do I have? I have four projects which I support at the same time. Our team (developers, testers) works and runs these projects at the same time. Our chief is tunning our work processes at the moment and requires some report what we plan to do in future sprint for our 4 projects.
We need to plan/organize our work in one sprint and we need to include jira-requests from 4 different existing projects to one common sprint.

My questions to community:
1. Could I create the common sprint like was described by me?
2. If yes then how it could be realised techinicaly by jira?

Thank you very much for any help!

Update 1:

What did I do?

1. created new project
2. included 4 my projects
3. created a new kanban (non scrum!) board
4. edited JQL-request for this board
5. over JQL limited the board by common sprint timing (out of jira)
6. could see my projects on the board.

If I continue to do this, then I will be forced to edit a date range in JQL-query for the kanban board each sprint. I understood that. But I'm looking for some way in which I could create a common sprint for projects and throw tasks there as if it was a native sprint for each task.

If I create scrum-panel then I will have it but without possibility of sprint creation. I tried to do it and got result with zero worth, got nothing. Jira isn't permiting to create common sprint for requests from different projects.

Total: Does exist any variant which permit me to create common sprint (sprint as jira-entity) for jira-requests drom different projects? It is very desirable that sprints be displayed on the kanban board like a swim line.

2 answers

1 vote
Alex September 30, 2019

Hi Ruslan,

We have approx. 19 active projects which all fall under 1 "Global" project - 1 sprint, 19 projects, all managed in 1 place.

Screenshot 2019-09-30 at 14.30.41.png

What we did:

1. Created a new "Global" project
  2. Within the new "Global" project: Board Settings -> General -> Filter
    1. "Edit Filter Query"
    2. Input JQL query
    3. project in (Project1, "Project 2", etc, "etc etc")
    4. Save and use Filter
  3. Quick Filters to filter individual projects within the "Global" project to make it easier
  4. We also use a lot of shared schemas and workflows to keep things simple, and to keep the backend/admin area tidy

This is a setup which we work with, and works well for us. Could be something to explore for your business?

Maybe someone else has a better way of doing things (which I'd be interested in seeing, too!)

fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2019

You can do it without creating that Global project, when you create a new scrum board you have an option that is something like create from a saved filter.

So you save the filter '

project in (Project1, "Project 2", etc, "etc etc")

and you choose that filter when creating the board.

Same that Alex said but saving one step (and saving one project)

Like # people like this
Ruslan Likhotinsky October 1, 2019

Okay guys! Thank you very much, Alex and Fran!
Earlier, before asking hier, I acted as you advise.

What did I do?

1. created new project

If I continue to do this, then I will be forced to edit a date range in JQL-query for the kanban board each sprint. I understood that. But I'm looking for some way in which I could create a common sprint for projects and throw tasks there as if it was a native sprint for each task.

If I create scrum-panel then I will have it but without possibility of sprint creation. I tried to do it and got result with zero worth, got nothing. Jira isn't permiting to create common sprint for requests from different projects.

Total: Does exist any variant which permit me to create common sprint (sprint as jira-entity) for jira-requests drom different projects? It is very desirable that sprints be displayed on the kanban board like a swim line.

0 votes
Ruslan Likhotinsky October 1, 2019

Okay guys! Thank you very much, Alex and Fran!
Earlier, before asking hier, I acted as you advise.

What did I do?

1. created new project

If I continue to do this, then I will be forced to edit a date range in JQL-query for the kanban board each sprint. I understood that. But I'm looking for some way in which I could create a common sprint for projects and throw tasks there as if it were a native sprint for each task.

Suggest an answer