How do I create an advance search in the new design?

Philippe.Flamant January 3, 2018

The new design is so cumbersome and makes navigating so much more difficult. One item I cannot find anymore is how to perform a search? specifically I like the JQL advanced searches and use them all the time. Now in the new design I have to find a filter and then delete everything. I can't start a JQL from the search field since it does not offer the predictive values drop down. For example for me to do an Epic Link to find all the issues in an EPIC now takes me twice as long.

4 answers

1 vote
Dmitry_Grinenko September 17, 2018

This is something that making me angry......why is so complex now to access JQL search ?! 

JIRA can't progress, only regress at design and user experience...

1 vote

Do we think this is good design and logical?

In the older Jira it was the second option and it was logical.
Option one = current search
Option two = search issues

The new Jira has lost the Current Search and Search Issues.

The language is not logical. View all issues to me does not mean Search issues.

So we are losing functionality (which I personally used a lot) and we are not using logical language for user actions.

This is a step backwards.

Another one to prove my point, the recent issues in the old Jira was below the Current Search and Search Issues. Even if I use the new View all issues the position is different every time based on how many recent Jira issues the user has opened.

Again the design is inconsistent and difficult for the user to consistently find the same field.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

This way is also there:

Click on "Issues" then click on "Search Issues" - same as it was in the old UI.

I think, you won't see more than four recent issues in the new UI, so the position won't be different.

I  agree with you, that the new UI is something, you have to get used to, but, give it a try :-)

My point is being made by your response. Design is not something you have to get used to. Good design is something that guides you. I am not a Luddite, I am an early adopter. This is not someone yelling "get off my lawn" and "I hate when things change". The first day I had the option for the new design I clicked it. The problem with the new design it is not intuitive and requires more clicks or thought to navigate than the older design. Because they wanted to be left navigation and icon focused and move away from the top navigation and word focused it is harder. These new icons are not intuitive and once you are in them you can't find what you need. To me when I click on a big search magnifying glass then I think you should be able to do some sort of advanced search from there instead of having to go to issues -> search issues.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

I understand your concerns. Have you sent your feedback already to Atlassian ("Give feedback" under the "New Jira Experience"-menu)? This is the best way to give direct constructive feedback to them. I know, Atlassian really appreciate your feedback. 

They do also read here, but in the first place, this is a user based community.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2018

Hi Philippe,

the JQL search field is still there. Just click on the magnifier, then on "View all issues" right underneath "Recent Issues".

Then, as you know already, change from standard to advanced and there is your JQL serarch field.

You can also reach that page with this URL:

https://<your jira url>/issues/?jql=project= 

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2018

There is an option called "View all issues" under "Recent Issues" when you click on the search icon. Clicking on "View all issues" will take you to the issue navigator, from where you can do basic or advanced searching.

Suggest an answer