How do I create a 'time in status' report in Jira Cloud?

Mark den Uil July 3, 2019

I would like to track how much time any type of issue spends in each of our issue statuses.

For example to answer the question: how much time does an average issue type = 'Bug' with the priority = 'Blocker' spend in the status = 'New' (and 'Registered' and 'In development', et cetera). I also need to keep track of the total time any ticket spent between entering the system as a 'New' ticket, and leaving the system with any of the 'Closed' statuses (such as 'Invalid' or 'Works for me' or 'Fixed' et cetera).

Can anybody point me to the right JQL documentation, or perhaps even share some of the code they use to run such a report in their Jira Cloud environment?

Frankly I'm a bit surprised this report isn't a standard feature of Jira. It's quite important to keep track of this stuff to improve the level of service offered year on year and find out which areas need the most improvement. I can only find addons for which I have to pay an extra subscription fee. But I guess it's possible to make this report myself? I've got no idea how, unfortunately.

5 answers

4 votes
Julia Denys _SaaSJet_ September 9, 2019

Hi @Mark den Uil 

With new features added to the Time in status for Jira Cloud by SaaSJet, you can easily track how much time any type of issue spends in each of our issue statuses. Besides Time in Status report, you can measure:

• Assignee Time
  • Average Time
  • Status Entrance Date
  • Time in Status per Date
  • Status Count
  • Transition Count

Filter issues by Project, Filter, Report, Label, Sprint, Assignee, and also by issue creation, update, and resolution date.

Exclude breaks, non-working hours, or holidays and create multiple calendars to analyze the right data.

Moreover, you can view all the reports as charts (Pie, Bar, and Area Charts). And using Pivots to create custom reports.

Hope, that the new Time in Status for Jira Cloud will help you to create the reports you need. Try an online demo to understand better how it works without installing

Regards

1 vote
Shahriar Kabir March 4, 2021

I don't understand what is the point of this field in JIRA cloud then which comes built-in out of the box. What does this do? I created a field using that type but it doesn't do anything. I was hoping that it would have some configuration to make it work but nada. What is the point of that field? See the screenshot below. 

What am I missing? 

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 1.39.31 PM.png

Giorgi Tsitsvidze October 11, 2023

i get also in this situation, Time in Status field in server/data center works differently but in cloud i can't figure out what i missing ... :( 

1 vote
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 16, 2019

Hi@Mark den Uil 

At the current moment, it's not possible to get information about time in status using JQL code or using the built-in functionality of Jira Cloud.

You can obtain this data using the add-on like Time in status for Jira Cloud by SaaSJet.

It generates 3 types of reports at the moment:
- Status Count - shows how many times an issue has been in each status
- Transition Count - shows how many times an issue went from status to status
- Time in status - automatically determines for how long your issues had been staying in each status.
Also, you can export the data they need as a report in XLS or CVS format.

Hope it helps
Zoryana
SaaSJet

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 16, 2021

Hi,

If you would be interested in a ready made solution, you may want to try out our plugin,

Agile Tools : Epic Tree & Time in Status 

It provides 3 major functionalities in one add-on

• More than 7 types of Time in Status Reports
    • Time in Status
    • Time with Assignee
    • Time in Status with Assignee
    • Time with Assignee per Status
    • Status/Assignee Count
    • Multiple Transition Reports
  • Epic Hierarchy / Sum Up (Standard Jira Hierarchy Epic -> Story -> SubTask)
  • Link Hierarchy / Sum Up (Hierarchy based on your issue link, upto 10 level deep)

TISwA-5-Apr.PNG

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
July 16, 2019

Hello Mark,

Our team at OBSS created Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Cloud, Server and Data Center.

Using Time in Status you can report how much time each issue spent on each status, each assignee or even each user group (useful for identifying bottlenecks in your process). You can also see the number of times each status or transition was used (very useful for inspecting reopen counts). Finally you can also create reports on the dates of each issue status transition.

You can produce reports based on the default 24/7 calendar or define your own business calendars with custom workdays and working hours.

Also add system or custom fields as columns to your report and customize the view format of durations.

All data can be exported as XLS, XLSX, CSV.

Emre Toptancı

OBSS

Suggest an answer