How do I create a subtask and make it appear on my kanban automatically

Tsvika Wiegner May 23, 2021

Hi,

I am new at Jira,

When I create a new subtask from a task on the kanban, this subtask appear on the right pane in the list of subtasks for that task. If I want to make it appear under the parent task in the Kanban, I have to click on it's link, which takes me to the subtasks page, there I have "READY FOR DEV" button (not sure if it's a generic name or something chosen by our admins).
Pressing that and going back to the kanban view now shows the subtask.
This is a little annoying because I have to do it per subtask.
I tried to find a way to do it from within the "Edit" popup of that subtask which is a little less annoying, but this also does not exist.

What can I do in order to shorten the way I am creating subtasks in the kanban?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2021

For an issue to appear in a column on a Kanban board, it needs to be in a status that is mapped into that column.  Your "Ready for dev" button is triggering a workflow transition that changes the status of an issue to one that is in the column. 

This is not an "edit", which is why you can't do it from the edit screen, and yes, it was something set up by your admins - they created the workflow!

You could get your admins to change the project settings such that sub-tasks use a workflow that has "create" land the issues directly into the "ready for dev" status.  But bear in mind this will affect all sub-tasks, including the ones that are part of issues that have not gone on to the board (which will make things look odd - having ready-for-dev pieces of issues that are not themselves ready for dev)

Tsvika Wiegner May 23, 2021

Thanks.
Any way for them to define that if a sub task is created from kanban - check if the parent task is in a status that exists in the kanban and apply that status as default to the child task?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2021

No, there's no way to do this, the create process has no knowledge of how it was started.

Suggest an answer