How do I create a linked issue using a HTML link?

qbitops November 19, 2015

I've been trying to create a new issue linked to a parent issue by generating an HTML link, based on the guide here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Creating+Issues+via+direct+HTML+links

HOWEVER, JIRA seems to be ignoring the issue key, even though it's valid. The URL I'm using is this:

<base-url>/secure/CreateIssueDetails!init.jspa?pid=10101&issuetype=1&summary=hello&reporter=<reporter>&issuelinks-issues=LA-144&issuelinks-linktype=blocks

Interestingly enough, when I pass an INVALID issue key, it adds it to the list box and then complains that the issue key does not exist:

<base-url>/secure/CreateIssueDetails!init.jspa?pid=10101&issuetype=1&summary=hello&reporter=<reporter>&issuelinks-issues=yo&issuelinks-linktype=blocks

Generating this error:

Screenshot 2015-11-19 11.25.34.png

So obviously I have the right query parameters!

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Levin_Oertle February 24, 2020

I still have the same Problem.

The workaround is okay but far from good...

Johan_Sleman March 2, 2020

Could you please share your workaround? 

Rob Fagen March 2, 2020

It was down below from Dec 11:

Same problem here. One workaround that I found, and might work for you:

&description=relates+to+<issue-key>

or

&description=blocks+<issue-key>

It converts a valid issue key to a link. 

It's a workaround in the sense that it at least makes a clickable reference to the other issue. It's not a workaround in that it doesn't leverage the searchability of the normal "linked" field. If you're consistent about the description you add, you can add to the JQL expression:

text ~ "blocks <projectkey>"

or 

text ~ "relates to <projectkey>"

in order to pull up all the issues you've updated this way.

0 votes
CJ Edwards December 9, 2020
CreateIssueDetails!init.jspa?pid=12345&issuelinks-linktype=relates+to&issuelinks-issues=${issue.key}&issuelinks-issues=A-1 ...

I put in the first issueKey i want, then I add another issuelinks-issues= with a bogus issue to make the field populate 

this does cause the error to fire, but at least the real issue does get put in place as well.

image.png

Rob Fagen December 9, 2020

Oh! Clever! That's some real outside-the-(dialog)-box thinking :)

You could name the 'fake issue' as "Please_Remove_Me", maybe?

Thanks!

0 votes
Johan_Sleman February 28, 2020

CreateIssueDetails!init.jspa?pid=10700&issuetype=10622&summary=hello&assignee=user&customfield_11825=10551&issuelinks-linktype=includes&issuelinks-issues=PP-535

Having the same issue, the link only seems to be added to the "Issue link" box if its an invalid issue key. Has any one figured this out yet? 

Antek Grzanka April 29, 2020

did you manage to find a solution? running into the exact same issue

Nadav Dahan September 9, 2020

Joining @Antek Grzankaquestion. Did anyone find a solution to enter a issue in the"Issue" field of linked issues through html url?

0 votes
Rob Fagen December 11, 2019

Same problem here. One workaround that I found, and might work for you:

&description=relates+to+<issue-key>

or

&description=blocks+<issue-key>

It converts a valid issue key to a link. 

0 votes
Martin Ofner July 1, 2019

I'm running into the same issue. Any ideas? Issuetyp number is correct according to metadata.

0 votes
Ray DR April 22, 2016

It did not like the 1-4 issuetype numbers for me either. You will have to pull it from the metadata generated from:

<base-url>/rest/api/2/issue/createmeta

It will likely be 5 digits in length.  

Suggest an answer