How do I create a custom Epic issue type?

I'd like to add an issue type with the equivalent hierarchy as an Epic but call it Theme. I don't see how this is possible.

3 answers

3 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jun 10, 2015

It's not possible, I think is the most straight-forward answer.

The field Epic Name, Epic Link, Epic Color, and Epic Status are add-on fields (NOT custom fields, they are add-on fields) that are tied to the Epic Issue Type upon JIRA Agile installation. This is why they only show up on the Epic Issue Type, this is why they do not show up on others. Additionally, the Epic Link functionality, along with Scrumboard Agile functionality, are specifically tied to the issue type.

As far as I know, you cannot simply add a new issue type to extend this functionality. 

There should be option to allow JIRA admins to add a new field like Epic. Simple and important business case is, As a product owner I want to create one more level "theme" between Epic and User Stories to manage my backlog better. Pls let me solution  for this ?

This is very important for product owners, dont understand why Atlassian dont work on it and provide a solution? This should not be that tough !!

I'd like to add an even simpler oversight from Atlassian - being able to create addtional Epic issue types. If they see fit that we can create our own issues with different names. workflows etc, why do they think that all these issue types can just be bundled under one epic type.

Absolutely. Is there an issue to vote on??

There was, but it was closed "won't fix" years ago.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-7203 - was closed years ago, but actually, re-opened a couple of weeks back to gather more interest.  Worth hitting vote on it.

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] So, there is no way in current scenario (in JIRA v7.6.2) where you can create new (your own) issue type and make it behave like an Epic Issue type? 

Exactly what Steven said, and I've pointed out there's no change so far.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

200 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you