How do I create a component within a project

Dean Dretske June 7, 2012

The manual indicates that the project page should allow an administrator to add components - I don't see the component subsection to allow this to happen. My account is setup as an administrator.

I have a project that is made up of several parts - 2 differnent clients and a server component. I would like to set Jira up so that we can track issues for each component seperately.

How do I set this up?

2 answers

0 votes
Dean Dretske June 8, 2012

I am a member of the system admins and the admin group is a project admin for this project. I additionally added my user account to the list of project admins. Still no component info. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2012
So the permission scheme still could be configured to not grant the "Administer Projects" permission to the the groups and roles you already tried. Please also check the permission scheme as Nic recommends
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2012
Btw: can you add versions?
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2012

I don't think it's this, but check that your project has at least one issue type that has a field configuration where components are enabled and not hidden. I don't actually think Jira is clever enough to disable the config for componets when they're irrelevant, but it's worth checking.

As Dieter says, can you maintain versions, and have you checked that the project admin role actually grants "administer project" in the permission scheme?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2012

You have to make sure that you are a *project* administrator, not just a system-administrator. System admins can always maintain project details (like users and roles), but they don't automatically get any rights to do anything else. (This is not spectacularly intuitive, but it is a better approach than "admin can automatically do everything). Check the permission scheme and add yourself to the admin role.

Suggest an answer