How do I create a Custom table Report for Jira for a specific set of data?

Jeff Chesney July 27, 2018

Hi!

I am very new to Jira, and I am checking out the viability of the software for our company.

One of the requirements is to be able to create a table report for status meetings showing issues/task that have been completed since a specific date or any open / in progress issues/tasks. 

Ideally, I would like the report to be a teammate by teammate basis.

I don't mind building the report myself, however, I am having difficulty finding the right documentation...

I am using the cloud version of Jira.

Thank you for your help!

j.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2018

Hello Jeff,

One way you do this in Jira Service Desk it to create a saved search using JQL search. Once you save this search it becomes what JIRA calls a “Filter” This filter can be added to a dashboard and that dashboard can be shared with people. Essentially this is how reporting of this type can be handled within Jira SD.

For instance; if you wanted to identify issues from a particular project which are still Open and assigned to a particular person you could create a saved search (filter) using the following JQL string in the “Search issues” tool. It might look something like:  project = Demo AND status in open and assignee = jdoe

You could do the same for issues completed during a certain time:   project = Demo AND createdDate >= 2017-05-20 AND createdDate <= 2018-05-21 AND status = complete

You would run the search by hitting enter, then save this as a saved search (filter) then add a gadget to the dashboard and seat the filter with the gadget. You would have to share the filter and dashboard with the groups. (interested parties).

So, it can be done, it’s a bit tricky but once its set up it works pretty well. You can even use a subscription model to email these saved searches to people and thus they receive the report automatically.

So, you can create a search filter with person (assignee) status (open, complete, in progress, etc) timeline, by project(s). The key is to think in terms of saved searches, filters, and dashboards. Then you can establish groups, add the correct people, share the dashboard and filters with those groups and they can see the information. 

Hope this helps,

Joe

Jeff Chesney July 27, 2018

Thanks, Joe!  I will give that a shot, and go from there. :)

Joe Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2018

Very glad to help Jeff. All the best. Joe

rahulraj987
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 21, 2021

@Joe Kyle - For getting a table as a result (not a 2D table- I would need some more columns) , do we have a gadget ?

Suggest an answer