How do I create a Burndown Chart using my Kanban board?

I am using excel to generate a Burndown for a 6 week release, which is on a Kanban board. Is there an easy way I can generate the Burndown using the Kanban Board to display a report on the team wiki?

Even better, is it possible to create a gadget Kanban Burndown?

I know it would not be as accurate as a Scrum Board, but it will aid us tremendously in visualizing our bottlenecks.

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Nope.  Burndown charts are for showing the estimated and actual work occurring in a sprint.  Kanban doesn't have sprints, so "kanban burndown" is basically nonsense.  Even saying "6 week release" implies you should be using a Scrum board because you are planning what is effectively a sprint.

Try the Control report though - that gives you a good indication of how your team is doing without needing a sprint to tie it to.  (I quite like the cumulative flow instead, it feels better for "how we're doing" at a glance)

Hi, I was hoping I might be able to get some help with this as well. We have multiple projects for different clients that we're servicing and since they are all small engagements, I have been trying to combine all of these into one. Since I have combined multiple projects into one, I am no longer able to create a sprint board and have been forced to create a Kanban board to manage them. We are still working in 2 week sprint cycles and I would still like to be able to pull some helpful data to interrogate our velocity and performance. Any idea how I can either run multiple projects on 1 sprint board or how I can generate burndown charts for the current Kanban board?

The problem you have with burndown is that it has to be time-boxed, which simply isn't there in Kanban.

However, you say "I am no longer able to create a sprint board" - why is that?  You should be able to create a new board, adjust its filter to include many projects and work off that.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

268 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you