How do I create a Bug and have it appear as a Sub-Task under the related Story on the Agile Board?

A Bug is created as a 'top level' Issue, this could also be from other sources such as Zephyr or Bugdigger. The Bug then ends up on our Teams's Backlog, it then has to be manually moved into the relevant Sprint. Once in the Sprint it has to be manually linked to the relevant Story. This is a lot of manual work. Once linked it is now a separate item (Story) on the Dashboard with no visible link to the actual Story it relates to. The team find it extremely difficult to manage as there is now no visibility of which Bugs are for which Stories. There could be many such Bugs and many Stories on the Dashboard, it is going to be extremely difficult and confusing to figure out which Bugs belong to which Stories?

In the example below, Bug CELLC-216 was created as a new Issue of Type Bug from within Jira, it was automatically created on the Backlog and manually moved into the Sprint. I then linked it to Story CELLC-200 and it is related to this Story. You can see link in the details of the Bug Issue however the Issue is not visibly linked and hence very difficult to manage when you have many Stories and many Bugs.

The Bug has to appear under the related Story as it is a failed result and does not meet t he Conditions of Acceptance of the related Story, in this case CELLC-200.

How do we do this or what are we doing wrong in our process?

Thank you
Kevin

13 answers

1 accepted

Hi Kevin,

I checked and the feature was added to the feature request list. You should be good.

Kind Regards,

Emily <--- works with Chris at Zephyr.

Hello, 

Any news when this feature will be ready?

Thanks,

Elitsa

Three years later and still no news... I guess we are suffering from the legacy of the good'ol bug and defect tracking system from the pre-Scrum era.

Hello Atlassian Team,

Are you having any plan to address this feature?

we are in 2018 still no updates.

Hallo,

Some people are waiting for a years. Me either need that feature.

Thank you

Any updates on this pls?

I completely agree that Bugs are actually part of User Story so there should be a mechanism to add Bugs under Story. This will also help to get effort roll up at story level which current don't happen as bugs are considered different issue type and Story separate, and there is no kind of parent child relationship

Why no updates from Atlassian on this thread ?

I completely agree that Bugs are actually part of User Story so there should be a mechanism to add Bugs under Story. This will also help to get effort roll up at story level which current don't happen as bugs are considered different issue type and Story separate, and there is no kind of parent child relationship

3+ years later, I still can't create a sub-task that has a red icon. You meet my expectations, Atlassian.

1 votes
Renjith Pillai Community Champion Jul 07, 2013

In fact, a good practice to handle Bugs found during the Sprint is to create it as sub-task of the story (create a new sub-task issue type called Bug). I am not sure if Zephyr/Bugdigger supports creating sub-tasks.

If that is not possble, someone has to manually convert that bug into a sub-task.

Hi Renjith, thank you for the feedback. We initailly had a Sub-task of type "Bug" but this resulted in other issues with reports and duplicate bugs so our EA team removed it. (I am trying to get them to add it again). The problem is Zephyr and BugDigger only creates the Bug as a top level Issue, so we need to duplicate the work and create another Sub-task and link it to the original Bug, this causes all sorts of other issues.

Hello,

We are trying to use a new type of issue called sub-bug of sub-Task type, from Administration, issues. Then we have changed the icon so that it has the same as the Bugs. And we have added this type to our "Issue type schemes". In this way we can add to the user stories, sub-task and sub-bug.

Could it be valid Do you need other functions? Could you indicate the problems encountered? Surely it will happen to us too.

Hi Kevin,

Zephyr currenlty doesn't support the creation of a subtask "bug" from the testcase execution screen. You'll either need to create a bug and convert it to a subtask as an extra step or create a new subtask and then link it to the testcase execution, per Renjith's advice.

I'll add it to our feature request list.

Kind Regards,

Chris

thanks Chris!

I would really like the ability when a Bug is created, either in Jira or from a 3rd party method such as Zephyr that the user is able to select whether it is created as a top-level Issue (Story) or the ability to search for the Story and create it under that Story at a sub-level (Sub-task), as both these scenarios are real in our environment. The Story is not Done until it is Done, this means QA is complete and all bugs fixed.

See also this discussion: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/186477/greenhopper-best-practices?page=1#187965

I know this is a bit of an old post, but having the same issue.

I totally agree with this.  There are times where a bug may be created and has nothing to do with an existing story (i.e. a user was using the application and found and reported a bug) which should show as a top level issue and there are many times (especially while QA is testing as user story) where the bug should be a sub task of a specific User Story.  

Having the ability to define the behaviour of the bug would be great!

@Chris Miller, can you confirm this request is added to a feature request list, if so I can close this issue?

@Emily Schneider thank you :-)

Four years... no fix!

I have managed a work-around for this...

Can create a sub-task of type of any name say "defect" or "issue" ,tried with name "bug" but gave error for name conflict 

you even can assign bug icon to it...

so while creating subtask you can choose that sub-task type for that feature module 

Steps : 

1. Go to Issues (only if you have admin access)

2. choose subtasks in left pane 

3. choose to add subtask issue type 

4. add a custom name and desc. and add an icon similar to bug 

Thats it i guess ... happy Testing !!!!

0 votes

Hey All, 

This is quite funny. I was using Jira in my last to last company and was checking this thread in 2015 for answer "how I can have bug under a story on my scrum board". Then I changed my the company and started using another tool.

Now I again switched my job and my company uses Jira and was looking for the same answer. 3 years on and Jira still has the same issue. Not sure how long it will take them to have this feature. May be my grand children will find the answer. ;)

Cheers!!

Narender

You can do this, you've always been able to do it in Jira.  Look for the "create sub-task" link on the issue, after checking the project has an issue type of "bug" as a sub-task issue type.

The problem here is that you can't create sub-tasks in Zephyr.

Hey Nic,

I got your point. It makes sense.

Happy that my grand children don't have to wait for it. 

Appreciate your help. :)

Cheers!!

Narender

We created a sub task type issue type and used that as a bug type with all the associated workflow and screens and it appears in the swimlane on the active sprint boards as expected.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,878 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot