How do I copy or duplicate a Jira Task

Franco Filice December 21, 2015

If you do not have a copy option please create such enhancement.

We have tasks that needs to be repeated every week with some small variations in each task must most is the same.

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2015

You can use "clone" from the menu options on an issue.

But for a regular repeated task, it's probably better to write a very short script that uses REST to create a new issue (Pi + Cron + 20 line script, 19 lines of which is poking me on HipChat if the create fails)

1 vote
Bata April 29, 2021

If I clone, only the settings are cloned, and the attachements, but the comments are nit cloned. How can I clone the entire Ticket inclusive the comments.Thx

Nishanth Thimmareddy (Appfire)
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 29, 2021

Hi @Bata

You can use Clone Plus for Jira to can copy comments, attachments, watchers, links, subtasks, subtask estimates, parent versions, epic issues, and their subtasks. 

Full disclosure: I'm the product manager for the app.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Best,

Nishanth T

Like Bata likes this
Bata April 29, 2021

Thank you, but we wont pay extra for it. Thx

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 3, 2021

As far as I know if you want to clone an issue and its issues, you need a Marketplace app like Clone Plus or our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira@Bata

Like Bata likes this
1 vote
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2015

There is the functionality built in it is called 'Clone' and it can be found under the 'More' actions on any issue provided the user has create permissions.

image2015-12-21 23:39:50.png

However, as you say you have a set of tasks to be repeated every week you may wish to look at one of the scripting plugins to make this easier for you as you could then clone multiple tickets at once and bulk populate with certain parameters.

Hope this helps.

Phill

Suggest an answer