How do I convert my Jira datacenter instance to a single-node instance?

dmitri November 3, 2016

If I wanted to convert a datacenter node to a single-instance node, I know I have to remove

<jira home>/cluster.properties

I also think I need to copy or link to the attachments, avatars, and logos directory.

ln -s <jira nfs>/data <single-node jira home>/data
ln -s <jira nfs>/logos <single-node jira home>/logos

This won't work plugins though as it seems both the nfs and local have plugins directories. Do I need to copy plugins or other files that might only be on the NFS share? What should be copied and where?

1 answer

0 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 3, 2016

Obligatory disclaimer: I don't know that this is even something we officially support doing.  The online documentation seems to assume that this would only ever come up in the initial phases of testing and doesn't go further than the usual advice to fully back up your environment.  If in doubt, contacting support is probably the best advice anyone can give you to make certain you don't stray too far off script.

That said... Yes, in principle this is just the reverse of the steps needed to move from single-node to Data Center, where the files you need to copy back are the ones that you initially relocated to the shared home.  The most interesting potential problem I can think of is that if you returned to single node operation for an extended time period and then tried to switch back to Data Center weeks or longer in the future, then some of the ancient leftover data from your current use of Data Center might cause some unexpected surprises.  I'm not aware of anything in particular, but it's something to keep in mind.

Suggest an answer