How do I configure portfolio to handle multiple sprints in a release?

David Freedman June 29, 2016

I set up the following scenario.  

• I have a release that occurs at the end of every two sprints.   
  • I configured my team to be able to handle 13 points per sprint.  
  • I created an epic equal to 13 points with 3 stories adding up to 13 and 1 story equal to 8 points.  

When Portfolio schedules the work.  It set's it up for 2 releases.  It adds 3 stories to the first sprint but is ignoring the 2nd sprint.  The 4th story shows up in the first sprint of the 2nd release.  

I want the 4th story to show up in the 2nd sprint of the first release.  Is there any special configuration I need to do?

2 answers

0 votes
David Freedman July 5, 2016

I have a board with releases that occur every 4 weeks.  I then have a team set up with an iteration length or 2 weeks.

I went back to the dates and understand the issue.  I have figured a way to resolve it, but think we can do a little better.

Here is my set up:

• Release 1 is setup to begin on 11 July 2016.  It will end on 5/Aug 2016.  That gives me 4 working weeks. 
  • Sprint 1 is starting on 11/July and ending 24 July.  It is including the weekends.   I was originally planning on ending it on Friday as opposed to Sunday.   I can change it to Sunday.

I resolved it by extending the release through Sunday.  This fixes my scheduling issues.  

I was thinking of controlling the dates via sprints, but i cannot set a date in the sprint until I start them.

Is there a way to tell Portfolio to ignore the weekends?

0 votes
Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2016

Hey David,

The setup you describe should work. I've tested out the scenario you described in my instance and Portfolio scheduled both sprints into the one release:

image2016-7-5 11:31:55.png

Could you please provide more specific detail for your setup so I can investigate why it's not working for you?

Also make sure that the difference in start/end dates for your release is equal or more than double your sprint length. My sprints are 2 weeks long so if I end the release 1 day short of 4 weeks then the sprint will be pushed to the next release (because Portfolio can't fit a full sprint into the release).

Kind regards,

Rhys

Suggest an answer