How do I clone a project?

We have a template project and would like to create new projects using the same configuration. Where is the button to do that?

7 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Timothy Chin Community Champion May 07, 2016

This question should be getting a new answer. You can indeed create a new project with an existing project as a template.

• When you create a new project from a template, that project is created with its own fresh set of schemes. These schemes are:
    • a permission scheme
    • a notification scheme
    • an issue security scheme
    • a workflow scheme
    • an issue type scheme
    • an issue type screen scheme
    • a field configuration scheme

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/defining-a-project-776636280.html

Works for JIRA 7 and above.

@Timothy Chin can you tell me exactly how to create a new project with an existing project as a template. that will really help me so far

From the documentation:

"When you are creating a new project, select Create with shared configuration to select an existing project and to use that project's schemes. Note that when you're sharing schemes, any change to the scheme will affect all the projects using that scheme."

jira proj.png

Well, this does not copy anything. However, quite handy.

Specifically - it doesn't copy the components from the previous project :(

I get a 500 error message when trying to clone a project

RE: OnDemand – ABSOLUTE INSANITY.  Not having a "Copy Project" button is completely ridiculous!  Who designs software that has a critical object that can be EDITED and DELETED and NOT copied.  Sometimes the logic of JIRA devs completely escapes me.  

NONE of these options are acceptable.

Totally concur. I still can't wrap my mind around how this is not basic functionality. I've been looking for a solution and the only thing I was able to find are some paid plugins. Very strange.

Agree - but then why blame the devs - not sure they're the ones that decide what gets built wink

Agree, it's ridiculous. I'm on a free trial, and this makes me question a lot of other facets.

Agreed, force to use plugins?

agreed - can very frustrating

2 votes
Joe Wai Tye Atlassian Team Sep 05, 2013

Hi Luciano,

Alternatively, if your instance is not compatible with the plugin mentioned by Timothy, you could use the JIRA CLI plugin as mentioned in this KB - Clone/Copy and Entire JIRA Project

Joe Wai Tye Atlassian Team Sep 05, 2013

Or, if you're just not that keen on plugins, you could do it the old-fashioned way : Exporting a backup, and then performing project imports.

We use Jira OnDemand, will the JIRA CLI plugin also work here and how would the CLI command look like?

Yes and here is the documentation link: JIRA Command Line Interface.

More specifically, you will need the cloneProject action with the parameters that match your requirements. It provides granularity in what aspects of the project to copy, so you need to specify.

But don't I have to buy that plugin license to be allowed to use the JIRA CLI which is not available for OnDemand?

Yes, I recommend a trial license to verify this is a good solution for you.

1. Go to CLI Plugin for JIRA
  2. Try it free
  3. It is a download plugin, but you do not need to install it. It is just for licensing.
  4. Install the client - see Installation and Use

Hi Luciano,

You can use the Copy project buildin script.

https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-CopyProject

Regards

Onkar Ahire

This is really inconvenient. Clone of a project should be really easy to add as a feature. 

Yes needs to as a feature. 

Hello All,

Any news for this? Should be really easy to do, just duplicate a project.

Thanks

Still can't clone a project but the workaround is to clone issues. Since you can perform mass actions to them in the issues navigator and can find all necessary issues in a given project with needed criteria.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,989 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot