How do I clear the "Resolution" field every time an issue is edited?

Christine Brown July 13, 2016

I have successfully added Post Functions to each step of my workflow such that the resolution of the issue is cleared when it is transitioned from one step to the next.

My issue now is that I cannot figure out how to keep that resolution field clear when the ticket is updated throughout the course of backlog grooming or similar. I found some documentation that suggested I check the "Edit" operation in my Project Screen Scheme, but I've dead-ended here. 

The behavior I am trying to prevent is that the resolution field is updated every time a ticket is edited but the workflow is not touched. This results in the ticket appearing to be struck through on our Backlog view.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2016

You need to remove the resolution field from the edit screen, it should only be put on the view and transition-to-closed-type-status screens.

Go to the project admin and look for "issue type screen scheme", amend that and you'll see it has one or many "screen schemes" associated with one or many issue types. You need to go into each one of these and look for the "screens" that are used by the "create" and "edit" actions.  Go into each one of these, and remove the resolution from the list

Christine Brown July 13, 2016

Thanks for the speedy reply. Will doing this still allow us to set a resolution value when we close the ticket? 

I can get to "Issue Type Screen Scheme" and eventually can drill down into a screen titled "Configure Screen" - but at this point I'm not clear how to specifically remove fields from specific actions. I only see how to configure based on issue type.

Ideally - we would like to use the resolution value to keep tabs on tickets we are deferring or closing as won't fix, but we don't want issues to appear crossed out in our scrum backlog.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2016

Yes.  The issue type screen scheme tells JIRA what screens you want to use for Create, Edit and View actions separately. 

You don't remove fields from actions, you remove them from the screens that are used when those actions are invoked.

The other place you might need to look into is the workflow.  Each workflow transition can have a screen associated with it (and, of course, these can be totally different to the screen for create, edit or view).  In your workflow you need to do two things:

1. When moving from an "ended" status to an "open" one, have a post-function on the transition that clears the resolution
  2. When moving from an "open" status to an "ended" one, either
    1. Have a post function that sets the resolution
    2. Use a screen that includes the resolution

An easy way to look at the workflow is to use the colours.  If the status is blue or yellow, it's an "open" type status.  If it's green, it's "ended"

Suggest an answer