How do I change the layout of the issue view screen?

Sophie Hoepelman July 5, 2018

Hi 

I am trying to change the layout of the View issue screen, is there a way to do this without coding it? I read that its controlled by code not the settings, is this true?

Thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Alexander Post _venITure_ February 22, 2020

Hi @Sophie Hoepelman

with our App https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221618/issuelayout you are able to modify the issue layout without using Scriptrunner ordo some Javascript modifications. 

You can hide panels and reorder them. Also we have extended panels e.g. to display even empty custom fields.

Here you can find a documentation https://documentation.veniture.net/onpremise/issueLayout

And here you can find a review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdWpag5iuDs

Niall McPherson November 18, 2022

Hi, I am trying to do a similar thing to add a team name field, but when I see the edit issue layout screen there are no hidden fields so I can't add anything to my issues.  

I have admin rights so from what I've read I should be able to see all the fields as they exist in the list under fields.  

Issue Layout.PNG

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2018

Hello,

Changes, which can be applied to the Vew Issue Screen are limited. You can change the order of the fields and add tabs. That would be all you can do.

Sophie Hoepelman July 5, 2018

Hi Alexey 

I can change the order of the create and edit page but not the view page its in a random order with the fields I added. 

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2018

You can change the order of the field on the view screen too. You should find the view screen for the issue type, you are interested, and change the order.

System fields though have their own position and you can not manage it. Also user pickers, group pickers, dates  go to their own web panels. You can not influence them.

Ken Chu March 14, 2019

I have the same question. When I double click to view an issue (i.e. not the quick popup view), some of the custom fields are positioned at the bottom of the screen. Anyway I can move these custom fields to the top of the screen so that they are next or near to fields like "Component/s", "Priority", etc.

Lea Pevzner August 27, 2019

@Alexey Matveev Can you please explain the difference between "view issue" screen and "edit issue" screen? 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2019

@Lea Pevzner Edit issue screen is launched when you push the Edit button. View issue screen is launched, when you view the issue.

Lea Pevzner August 27, 2019

@Alexey Matveev thanks for the quick answer. What's the "edit" button? Can you please attach a screenshot? 

Nikola Bornová December 2, 2019

I would highly recommend to go through this part of documentation :-)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/project-screens-schemes-and-fields-938847220.html

Example:

test issue.png

Andreas Lianos February 21, 2020

@Nikola Bornová and @Lea Pevzner that is the old issue view. The new issue view does not have a separate view and edit, all fields are just editable when you click on them. I cannot for the life of me make "resolution" appear in the new view, or remove some of my custom fields, even though I removed them from the relevant screen.

Al September 23, 2021

You should look at the relevant Field Configuration used by the issue type, accessible by admins. Each field in the configuration has a number of settings including renderer (plain or wiki) for text, show or hide, required or optional, etc.

From here then, you can hide some fields that don't want to show. (But make sure they're not set to required otherwise the user will still be asked for them)

Suggest an answer