How do I change the displayed order of versions on the Roadmap

Mark Howells February 6, 2012

I have a number of versions defined for a project. In the roadmap view, I'd like to have them displayed in "Release Date" order. They currently seem to be displayed in the reverse of the order they are placed in the "Manage Versions" screen. Seems a bit random ...

7 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2012

Frankly the Roadmap is doing what it is expected to do, as per the order in which you have kept in the versions in 'Manage Versions'. If you need it in the order of 'Release Date' (which in my opinion should also be of the same order), you need to re-order the version in the manager versions page.

Mark Howells February 7, 2012

Except that it doesn't use the same order as Manage Versions, it uses the reverse order ...

Wesley Monroe February 25, 2012

I'm using jira OnDemand, and the order of versions that show on the roadmap is NOT effected by the order as they appear in manage version. I guess this could just be a bug?

SPence August 28, 2013

Reorder in the manager is not reflected in the Roadmap

John Paz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2013

This does not answer the question; the solution does not resolve the reported problem.

Shane Kenyon July 14, 2015

You should have tested before answering. -1

Dr. Michael Boeni November 27, 2017

Yep, reordering in the manager is not properly reflected in the roadmap.

8 votes
Georg Amm May 3, 2019

When will this be fixed? The bug is 4 years old :-(

5 votes
Shane Kenyon July 14, 2015

This is indeed a bug but there is a workaround.  When the version records are first added, they don't have an explicit sort order.  They will appear in the order they were entered on the admin screen, but in reverse on the scrum board, project overview, etc.

However, if you physically use the drag-drop functionality in admin to move the versions into the correct order (you will have to touch all of them) then they will retain the ordering you set in the admin.

The bug is that the default sorting within the admin is different form the sorting on the other screens.

Update: Apparently I was fooled - only the Overview/Versions panel shows it in the correct order.  But everywhere else it does display it in reverse order regardless on if they are newly added or rearranged manually.

The rendering is as follows:

Overview

• Summary – Reverse
  • Issues – Reverse
  • Road Map – Reverse
  • Test Summary – Reverse
  • Versions – Correct

Administration

• Summary – Correct
  • Versions – Correct

This is a bug, we are on version 6.2

Sarah Wilkerson January 9, 2018

It is now 2018 and this is still an issue.

Like # people like this
Nina Marshall March 13, 2018

We just updated to version 7.0 and are experiencing the same issue.  I order the versions the way I want them to appear in the "manage versions" section yet when you view the backlog and click on versions panel - They appear in a random order.  Any work around to fix that?

Timmy Nguyen May 15, 2018

Hi, My is working as designed, order on 'release tab' is same on backlog tab.

thanks

2 votes
Adam Sabla June 18, 2020

Still an issue.

Also, it would be great to be able to sort the versions in the backlog view by name.

This is a mess:

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 12.49.57.png

1 vote
Roey Shamir December 24, 2019

Hi, you are more than welcome to try my plugin - Version Manager for JIRA cloud.

Not only does it let you sort by whatever column you want, but it also lets you delegate the manage versions permission to whoever you decide and assign components to versions.

0 votes
Madhusudhan January 18, 2021

any other way that we can sort these versions? kind of codings?

0 votes
Benjamin Wan January 18, 2021

2021 this is still an issue. It seems a lot of time is dedicated to the next gen which is a terrible affair of limited functionality.

Suggest an answer