How do I change a user's email address as an admin in JIRA Cloud?

Bheeshmar Redheendran January 8, 2020

I have a user who left the company (and is currently deactivated in JIRA) and we have a new user who is taking over that email address. I would like to change the email address of the currently deactivated user to something else so I can invite the new user, but I'm unable to change the deactivated user's email address.

When I click on a user in the  JIRA Admin screen I onle see actions for "Prompt reset password" and "Delete user".

Screenshot from 2020-01-08 11-34-16.png

Any suggestions?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2020

What user directory are you using for the Cloud system? 

There are three possibilities:

• Atlassian Access
  • Google Accounts
  • Atlassian Account (if it helps to identify this one, you use an Atlassian account to get into the Community here as well as Cloud)

We need to know because they are three very very different systems, with three different answers.

Bheeshmar Redheendran January 8, 2020

Clicking login from an incognito window takes me to id.atlassian.com - so I'm thinking option 3.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2020

Ok, then you have a problem.

Atlassian accounts do not belong to organisations, they belong to individuals.   You add an individual's account to your Cloud system to let them in, and deactivate them when they leave, but the account remains theirs.  It may be granting them access to other things that you know nothing about, and changing that would be wrong.

You should never re-use an email address that belonged to an individual.  In some places, it's illegal, as it is effectively identity theft.

I recommend that you create a new email address for your new user, and adjust your policies to avoid re-use.

Bheeshmar Redheendran January 9, 2020

Thanks for your answer. As these are corporate-owned email addresses in GSuite, we have been reusing them to have "nice" email addresses ala "nic@corp.com" which is a nicety when you have a small company.

If I were to switch to GSuite or SAML for authentication, would that address this issue?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2020

Switching to Gsuite or SAML would solve it because the accounts would belong to your organisation, not the individual.  You would have a migration exercise to do of course, off Atlassian accounts.

karim -Atlassway-
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 27, 2020

Hello @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  

Could you please telll us why we cant modify email adresse of user in jira cloud ?

The idea that we have a domain , and i noticed that a user use a public gmail address , so i tryed to change this email adress but i can't , i need to create a new account ? 

Regards

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2020

The account does not beling to you (in this case).  You'll need to get that person to change the email on their Atlassian account.

Like karim -Atlassway- likes this

Suggest an answer