How do I change Epic label colours in Kanban - JIRA Agile Cloud

I have a Kanban board with tasks that I assign to an epic. An epic label is shown on the tasks. How do I change the colour of the epic labels?

3 answers

1 accepted

Hi Mark,

To change the colour of an epic, you can use the following documentation as guidance: Changing the colour of an epic, however, that is only for Scrum boards. There's no way to manage Epics in Kanban Boards similar to Scrum Boards' Plan mode for now, there's an open improvement regarding this request being tracked at:

Please add yourself as a watcher to be notified of future updates.

For what it's worth, I was googling this question and came across a workaround that helped me assign a color for an Epic.... I edited the Epic issue, added the "Epic Colour" to the form, and assigned a label called "ghx-label-6" as the value.  That's green.  I do not know what other options are available.  I know another label called "ghx-label-5" is in use for a different Epic (now that the field is visible on the Default Screen), and that's blue.  Presumably there's a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.... 

After reading April's answer I realized you can also do this:

• Create a Scrum board for the same project as your Kanban board
  • Open that board & the epics view
  • Change colors as desired
  • Delete the Scrum board you just created

Since presumably there's a hidden "Epic Colour" field, the colors appear to stick even after deleting the scrum board.

This works, thanks for the work-around!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Alexey Matveev
Published Mar 17, 2018 in Jira

How to run Jira in a docker container

Everything below is tested on Ubuntu 17.10. I prefer to use Jira in a docker container because: 1. I can install Jira with a couple of commands. 2. I can start and stop Jira just by starting and s...

618 views 6 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot