How do I change Epic label colours in Kanban - JIRA Agile Cloud

Mark Chidlow February 18, 2015

I have a Kanban board with tasks that I assign to an epic. An epic label is shown on the tasks. How do I change the colour of the epic labels?

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2015

Hi Mark,

To change the colour of an epic, you can use the following documentation as guidance: Changing the colour of an epic, however, that is only for Scrum boards. There's no way to manage Epics in Kanban Boards similar to Scrum Boards' Plan mode for now, there's an open improvement regarding this request being tracked at: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7052

Please add yourself as a watcher to be notified of future updates.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

20 votes
Mat Schaffer December 21, 2015

After reading April's answer I realized you can also do this:

• Create a Scrum board for the same project as your Kanban board
  • Open that board & the epics view
  • Change colors as desired
  • Delete the Scrum board you just created

Since presumably there's a hidden "Epic Colour" field, the colors appear to stick even after deleting the scrum board.

peterhorsley November 17, 2016

This works, thanks for the work-around!

Heather Harkins June 26, 2018

Thank you! PERFECTION!! I had an old Scrum version of my Kanban board already established. I'm just going to keep it around for this adjustment each PI.

Like Dennis T likes this
9 votes
April O July 15, 2015

For what it's worth, I was googling this question and came across a workaround that helped me assign a color for an Epic.... I edited the Epic issue, added the "Epic Colour" to the form, and assigned a label called "ghx-label-6" as the value.  That's green.  I do not know what other options are available.  I know another label called "ghx-label-5" is in use for a different Epic (now that the field is visible on the Default Screen), and that's blue.  Presumably there's a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.... 

MarcelW July 20, 2015

Here are the colors and their label names: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/281921/answers/21634908

0 votes
Chris Munn April 30, 2019

A fix for me was to move the epic to another project which was a scrum board, change the color in the backlog tab which is available for scum boards, then move the epic back to the kanban project

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 08.42.37.png

Suggest an answer