How do I bulk clone issues using JIRA Cloud?

Greg Sarcona April 4, 2018

The add-ons on the Atlassian Marketplace I find are all for JIRA Server, not Cloud.

How do I bulk clone issues using JIRA Cloud?  Is there an add-on I missed?

6 answers

16 votes
Jonathan Grubb
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 3, 2018

You can export a set of issues to CSV, then reimport that CSV. On the import, don't map fields that you don't want to copy over, like Issue ID or Creation Date.

I made a template Epic with a set of stories that we need to do every time. Some fields don't re-import, but overall it works pretty well.

6 votes
Suren Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2018

Hi Greg,

Thanks for contacting Atlassian Support!

Currently, it is not possible to clone/copy issues in bulk in Jira Cloud, unfortunately.

We understand there is a demand from our customers for this to be implemented, so it has an open Feature Request.
Please add yourself as a watcher and voting on the following:

Considering the fact that there is no estimated time or decision for this feature to be implemented, adding yourself will ensure you're proactively informed of progress and updates going forward in accordance to our Implementation of New Features Policy.

I'm afraid there is no plugin available for cloud version

Paul Taylor June 4, 2019

I am finding that this is the case a lot with the features between cloud and server... script runner also does not work, and its not just the market place playing catchup.   Atlassian needs to be clearer about the limitations, the feature comparison matrix shows none of these gaps.   I now have my whole team moved over and I am finding limitations, bugs etc all over the place. not good - and I am a totally committed customer who gets tons of value from JIRA but this is definitely a disappointment. I don't really recall the price difference but I feel like I made a mistake. Is there a tool to allow me to easily migrate from cloud to server version ? I just expected that they would be basically the same.  a different example this morning is that even in cloud version there are features that can be seen in classic mode but are nowhere to be found in new layout.

Like # people like this
Jean Francois Gelinas March 24, 2023

And this was 4 years ago ...

Like # people like this
Scott Wegener
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 15, 2023

Yeah, Jira overall is pretty embarrassing.  No issue in trying to upsell forever, but core functionality will remain missing for years/decades - child item ordering, so many basic misses.  Even MS has improved their core VSTS/ADS product over time while Jira keeps missing.  

Still in 'gathering information' :-/

Like # people like this
2 votes
Greg Sarcona April 6, 2018

The add-on Deep Clone for JIRA should be releasing this feature soon, according to emails I've exchanged with their Product Manager.

Ben Romberg - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 17, 2018

Indeed! Deep Clone for Jira now allows to bulk-clone up to 1000 issues at once within Jira Cloud. You can include comments, attachments, sub-tasks and all other issue content such as issue links.

Disclaimer: I'm the product manager of this app.

Like Vanessa Candela likes this
Xavier Albareda
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 28, 2018

@Ben Romberg - codefortynine super intersting features coming from Deep Clone. Let's say I have a master project with a Kanban board and 200 defined issues on the To Do stage, am I able to clone al these issues and relate them to another project?

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 2, 2019

@Xavier Albaredayes, you should easily be able to clone those issues across to another project.

Let me know if you have any further questions or contact us directly at support@codefortynine.com.

Prachi Chandak
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 10, 2019

Do you support server version of this plugin?

Thanks,

Prachi

Marketplace Partner
October 10, 2019

@Prachi Chandakunfortunately Deep Clone for Jira is a cloud-only app at the moment and we currently have no plans to support server, as there are many alternatives available for cloning issues on Jira server.

Ashish Bajaj March 3, 2021

@Ben Romberg - codefortynine since you are on the ground handling things. Can I ask one thing. I have a project with functional requirements and test cases/ test executions in each tickets. We want to clone the whole project with text execututions as well. I did try deep clone but it gave me the below error and just cloned the existing tickets without the test executions. Can you suggest a way?

DeepClone.jpg

Marketplace Partner
March 4, 2021

@Ashish Bajajintegration with test management apps is documented here.

The warning messages are probably not related to your test cases/executions.

Let's continue the conversation on support@codefortynine.com and I'll help you getting started.

0 votes
Johannes Nyberg January 3, 2023

Hi, 

My trick to this is setting up an automation rule. Once the automation triggers for the ticket it creates a clone in the desired project. Then bulk update the tickets with the chosen trigger.

0 votes
Martin Le Brun
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 25, 2021

A trick - you could add all the stories to one Epic and then clone the Epic, checking the "Clone issues of the epic" checkbox, and optionally the  "Clone subtasks of the epic and its issues" checkbox.
Obviously, if you use Epics, you would need to move the original issues back to their original Epics.

Max Clendenning August 9, 2021

I was excited to try this, but when I clone the Epic, there is no "Clone issues of the Epic" checkbox for me. Maybe because we are Cloud not Server?

Like Colleen Newman likes this
Nishanth Thimmareddy _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
August 9, 2021

Hi @Max Clendenning

You can use Clone Plus for Jira Cloud to bulk clone issues with their comments, attachments, subtasks, estimates etc

In addition to this, the app supports many use cases and workflow requirements with enhanced customized clone actions.

Full disclosure: I'm the product manager for the app.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Nishanth T

Like # people like this
0 votes
shirish sonawane
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 14, 2020

@Ben Romberg - codefortynine  

Can we schedule bulk cloning using Deep clone ?

Is the below use case possible .. please guide

Use case : to automatically clone to another Jira Test project for any test executions that are older than a month." So we could run it daily perhaps. 

Marketplace Partner
December 14, 2020

Hello @shirish sonawane and welcome to the community!

We currently don't offer scheduled cloning of issues, but we're definitely interested to find out more about your use case.

I see that you've also opened a support request with us. Let's continue the discussion there and I'll update this comment if we have any news to share. Thanks!

Suggest an answer