How do I bulk change parent epics in next-gen projects?

김정현(Colin) September 30, 2019

I know that I can change fields of stories using bulk change.

However, I'm not sure how I can change parent epic of stories in next-gen project.

It seems like I need to use 'Parent Link', but it is disabled because we do not have license of Jira Portfolio.

If I got a license of that, changing 'Parent link' would work for changing parent epics?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2019

Hello @김정현(Colin)

Thank you for reaching out.

Actually, Next-gen projects use a different kind of Epic relationship where there's no Epic link field to be changed. This condition causes the bulk upgrade to don't work when trying to change the Epic related to Next-gen issues.

We have a bug reported about it here:

Bulk Operations does not present Epic information correctly 

Feel free to vote and watch the bug to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

That being said, I'm not sure if the workaround you are trying to implement with Portfolio might work, however, we have found another workaround that might work for you with no need of the portfolio app:

Use multi-select on the board or the backlog to bulk assign stories to epics:

If you want to update issues that are already in "Done" status instead, you can then use the below workaround. However please keep in mind that it is using an internal endpoint not officially documented/supported and this workaround might stop working without prior notice:

Send a POST request to the REST API endpoint https://INSTANCE.atlassian.net/rest/internal/simplified/1.0/projects/PROJECT-ID/issues/EPIC-ID/children providing a list of issue-ids in the request body.

Example:

• IDs of the issues to be updated: 10405, 10203
  • Project ID: 10303
  • Epic ID: 10519
  • Curl command to set the Epic (10519) as a parent to the desired issues (10405 ,10203). Please replace all the things in CAPITAL with the proper values:
    curl -D- -u EMAIL:API_TOKEN -H "Accept: application/json" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{ "issueIds" : ["ISSUE-ID-1", "ISSUE-ID-2"] }' -X POST https://INSTANCE.atlassian.net/rest/internal/simplified/1.0/projects/PROJECT-ID/issues/EPIC-ID/children

In order to get the list of issue-id to update you can:

1. Run a search to get the list of issues to update
  2. Switch to the list view
  3. Select to display only the issue-key column and export to CSV current columns only. This way you get a CSV file that only contains issue-key and issue-id. You can parse this file in many different ways to just get a comma separated list of issue-ids surrounded by double quotes

For details on how to authenticate REST API calls using API TOKENS please refer to the API tokens documentation page.

Let me know if this information helps and you were able to work around the issue.

김정현(Colin) October 3, 2019

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't know the multi selection. That could be one solution, but I did this one by one. T_T

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2019

You are welcome, @김정현(Colin).

Sorry to hear that I was not able to provide you with a better workaround before you manually change it.

Please, let me know if there is anything else I can help with. Have a nice day!

0 votes
Mercedes Rothwell December 1, 2023

Found the answer folks. It is now called "parent". You can see more info here. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17252

Suggest an answer