How do I automatically assign certain issue type to specifc people?

Simon Long May 11, 2014

Is it possible to set-up JIRA so that certain issue types (for example in my case a EPIC) will be assigned automatically to person ABC and that other issue types (for example a development issue type) would be automatically assigned to person XYZ.. any ideas? Assuming it may be configured via some kind of workflow?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2014

Hi Simon,

I think that you can have a start status called NEW (or as you want to name it) and then create a Jelly Scripts that will monitor (using Services) the incoming issues via JQL filter (e.g project = X and issue type = EPIC and status = NEW) and few different transitions to the same next step but with different post functions that will assign to specific people.

If you do not want to playaround with OOTB features you combine plugins. I think Script Runner plugin may help you do this only with one transition. You can develop a script that will read the issue type and then base on this assign to a specific person. This script will need to be also added to the post function of your workflow.

Probably there are also other plugins that will help you achieve this but I just mentioned two first ideas that came to my mind.

I hope that will help.

Best Regards,

Mirek

0 votes
Tsol
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2014

Hello,

if you have scriptrunner you can create scripted postfunctions with conditions, for the issue type that you want you will declare the assignee.

If you do not have the plugin, the approach is to create workflows per issue type and in create transition for example to set the assignee. JIRA has already a built in function for that.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Simon Long May 11, 2014

Thanks Kostas. I like the second approach. So it is possible, per issue type to assign different people where the issue would automicaticaly be assigned to? I assume this is done by using a admin? Thanks

Tsol
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2014

Yeap with the second approach is possible.

The things you have to do are:

1. Create workflows for the issuetypes that you want to have the automatic assignment feature

2. In this workflows you have to add the postfunctions that will execute the automatic assignement of issue. This postfunction already exists in JIRA.

You must have admin rights in order to do this actions

Suggest an answer