How do I automate closing an issue based on linked child tasks being closed?

Amy Sliwinski May 6, 2024

Hello!

On my team, we organize our work using Story issue types and then create Task issue types as Sub-tasks, since our client has not enabled Sub-tasks in our Jira project.

I am trying to create an Automated Rule that closes the parent Story issue when all linked child Task issues have a status of "Closed." 

I have attempted to set up the Automation, but when I test and look at the Audit logs, the rule is picking up Task tickets that are closed - but not resulting in any action. What am I doing wrong in my rule?

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 7.16.30 PM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2024

Hello @Amy Sliwinski 

I am confused by what you have said:

"we organize our work using Story issue types and then create Task issue types as Sub-tasks, since our client has not enabled Sub-tasks in our Jira project."

How are you creating Task issue types as sub-tasks. As in, how do you do this assignment? Can you share..

But at a high level, Jira automation will not recognize this set up, unfortunately. 

That is, when you branch on "Parent", it will not know who is the parent because Task issue type cannot be children of stories. 

Thanks for responding @Kalyan Sattaluri!

Here is an example of how we have the tickets set up.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 9.50.10 PM.png

The way the automation configuration reads, it seems to me that it should work...it is checking to see if all of the issues linked to the parent issue with the link of "is parent of" are Closed. And, if that is true, it should close the story ticket.

But, something about my logic isn't working...

Actually, thanks to your feedback, I think I got it to work! I reconfigured it to what I have below. Yay! Thank you so much!

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 9.58.20 PM.png

Like Kalyan Sattaluri likes this
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2024

Nice, great to hear. I wasnt sure how you were setting it up. This makes sense. TY for sharing & Have a great day!

Suggest an answer